Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 10:46 PM
    Contact Lenses - Horror Stories!
    Hi, All!

Okay. Like so many other people I'm a contact lens wearer and sufferer.

I'm sure that we all have stories to tell about how we've lost them, damaged them, worn them for too long, etc.

I know that I have mine, and would like to share them.

What are some of yours, please? The results of and solutions to the problems would also be good to share! :)

Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 09:12 AM

I wore soft lenses for years 24/7. Then one day I opened my eyes in the morning and it felt like razor blades in my eyes each time I opened and closed my eyes. Went to my eye doctor and was told that I have GPC and that I needed to take out my lenses and leave them out for a few days and try wearing a new set. He also gave me an eye solution to help clear up the GPC problem.

After a few days I put the new set in. In less than one hour I was in excruciating pain just like before. Went back to eye doctor. Was told that I could try again in a week or more or just give up wearing the lenses altogether and save myself a lot of needless headaches. On a scale of 1 to 4 I had GPC at 3 which means that I probably can never wear contact lenses again.

Well, that was about 24 years ago and I haven't bothered since trying to see if I could wear them again or not. I've just given up and wear my glasses now.

Was thinking about having Lasix done but it's so expensive and risky that I'm going to stick with the old glasses for now.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 09:58 AM
    What's GPC, please?

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 5, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Here you go

Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis (GPC) - Eye Clinic Of Racine - Racine, Wisconsin (WI)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 05:15 PM

Thanks J_9. It's actually on the inside of the eyelids and not on the eye itself. It is not contagious though.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 09:14 PM
    Thanks for the link, J_9!

One time, I actually had a hard contact lens fly out of one of my eyes as I was playing the organ for church! I'm pretty sure that it fell into the pedal keyboard.

I never did find the contact lens, though.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 5, 2010, 10:01 PM

Never wore contacts, I couldn't get them in my eye. I have issues with anything touching my eyeball.

I went for laser surgery instead. Talk about touching the eyeball, they actually burned it. I was a nervous wreck even after taking two Ativan.

It was 5 days of pure hell where I wanted to gouge my eyes out, but after that 20/20 vision.

It was worth it. :)
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
    I actually had a needle stuck into the iris of my eye by the optometrist to remove a piece of metal that had gotten lodged into it. I think that having a hard contact in that eye might have prevented metal from getting into the pupil of my eye.

I was was grinding brass handbell parts at the time in order to make repairs to them. Of course, being me, the way that I was then, I wasn't wearing any goggles!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 10:25 PM

I wore hard lenses. Soft were MUCH more expensive at the time. I was in my teens and had the helm of my father's friend's 30' boat in a canal.

Interesting trip. Saw a dead body on the side of the canal. Navigated under a twin span suspension bridge. It was more impressive going under than over that particular bridge and I lost my contact looking through a pair of binoculars.

When we got to the shipyard, I went into the bilge and found it on the ledge at the side of the bottom of the boat.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2010, 11:28 PM
    Did you clean it up and continue to use it, KISS?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 01:41 AM

Yep.

BTW: A friend had a metal splinter into the white of his eye when using a milling machine/
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Never wore contacts, I couldn't get them in my eye. I have issues with anything touching my eyeball.

I went for laser surgery instead. Talk about touching the eyeball, they actually burned it. I was a nervous wreck even after taking two Ativan.

It was 5 days of pure hell where I wanted to gouge my eyes out, but after that 20/20 vision.

It was worth it. :)

Laser or lasik? Or are they the same. I'm considering lasik.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 6, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Laser or lasik? Or are they the same. I'm considering lasik.
    It's sort of the same thing. I couldn't get lasik, I had to get the PRK.

Hubby got the lasik. It's a much nicer procedure. Lasik is where they actually cut a flap, correct it, and then put the flap back. After the procedure you go home, sleep, and wake up with perfect vision, no pain.

PRK is where they actually burn the cornea. Afterwards you'll need to wear protective contacts and your vision will be very unclear for at least 5 days. It's also very painful (not the procedure itself, but the healing). There's also more of a risk of halos with PRK.

Both surgeries use a laser, but the procedures themselves are very different.

Trust me, I would have much preferred the lasik, but it wasn't an option for me. I did get lucky though. Perfect vision, no halos, 20/20. The five days after were pure hell, but so worth it.

If you do get it you probably won't know whether you qualify for lasik until right before the surgery. They do all the tests then put the info into the computer. Because the info isn't put in until right before the surgery, you may be told 5 minutes before you go in that you can't get the lasik. That's what happened to me.

I really would go for it Judy. It's not cheap, but the money you save on glasses and being free of glasses and contacts, it's so worth it. You will need to wear sunglasses for 6 months afterwards no matter which procedure you get. Small price to pay for perfect vision. :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 6, 2010, 10:51 AM

Oh Alty, I'm so sorry your experience wasn't too great. Glad the results were worth it. Want to hear a little secret? Part of the blurry vision is because that "eyepatch lens" they give you after surgery has a slight prescription in it. It's to keep the eye strong and working during your healing process. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Hehe. And might I add, you should wear sunglasses outside ALL THE TIME. Especially if you have had surgery on your eyes (any surgery). Sorry 'bout the lecture. :)
    Uber Member

May 6, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Do you wear contact lenses, Momma?
    Vision Expert

May 7, 2010, 10:37 AM

Yeah, I've worn contacts for 14 years and glasses for 18 years.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2010, 10:42 AM
    Any horror stories having to do with you and contact lenses, Momma?
    Vision Expert

May 7, 2010, 12:55 PM

Just one... I got my lenses melted to my eyes from standing too close to a camp fire a few years ago. Other than that, no. I was an Optician for 5 years so I was taught to care for them very well.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 01:29 PM

Not really had a problem with lenses, I only wear them rarely in cases where it would be unwise to wear my glasses e.g. airsofting or paitballing

Only times when I have had a problem is when its been my fault and I've either worn one inside out or left them in for too long and my eyes start to ache. Other than that thought I've not really had a problem, and since in the summer months I'm affected badly by hayfever the lenses lessen that because the pollen can't get to my eyes as such :D so the benefits outweigh the downsides for me
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Yep.

BTW: A friend had a metal splinter into the white of his eye when using a milling machine/
    How big was the splinter and how did they get it out, KISS?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contact lenses [ 10 Answers ]

I went to the ophthalmologist and had a thorough eye exam - I have worn contacts for ages, went to the optician with the prescription from the ophthalmologist, he fitted me for contacts and recommended Day & Night (or the other way around) and for whatever reason I said, sure, I'll take them. ...

Contact Lenses [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one know some contacts lenses that have the diameter 14.2 and base curve 8.6...

What do you think of your contact lenses? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys Have you tried any of these lenses? Cibavision O2 Optix (Air Optix) Cooperview Proclear Compatibles Johnson & Johnson Acuvue Oasys

Contact lenses [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I know this has nothing to do with teens but it's the only thing close enough to the question. I have contact lenses I am having a trial week and the only problem is I find it hard to put the lenses in and take out. I have tried many ways but none seem to work. ANY IDEAS?! :confused:

Contact lenses/sleep [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, (didnt know what to put this question under) I was just wondering if I can nod off with hard contact lenses in?? I am going on my holidays in a week and on the plane I will want to read but I will probably sleep a bit as well. I can't wear my glasses anymore because they are blurry as my...

View more questions Search