Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    takeonme Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Vibrating pipes, unknown cause
    Hi, in the last 2 months I've noticed some water pipes vibrating/growling in the walls of the room next to the boiler. I've tried to dampen vibrations of the pipes coming from the boiler but to little effect.

The vibrations seem to happen roughly the same time every day, around 10am to 12 and are frequent during about 9pm to 11pm. They also happen sporadically outside these hours but less loud and frequent. The vibrations last about 5-20 seconds a time and are spaced within 30 seconds to maybe 5-10 minutes of each other. They very from a quiet growling to reasonably loud that makes the walls vibrate. I have no idea what causes it. They happen even if I haven't run any water for a while or used the toilets or if the boiler is off. They don't happen when the water mains is turned off. Thankfully I've never heard vibrations past 11.30pm.

I live on the ground floor of a 5 story flat, and the flat is about 10 years old.

Please contribute if you have any idea what's causing these noises!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:25 AM

The sounds u hear may be caused by pipes rubbing against the wood framing. Someone in one of the other apartments may be using water when this occurs. U will be hard pressed to isolate this problem.

When u hear noise, put hand on pipe to see if u feel vibration. This will tell u which pipe is the culprit. Then see if there is any movement in pipe and secure it.

Hope this helps. If not, get back to us and maybe another course can be taken.

Good luck

Chuck
    truck 41 Posts: 221, Reputation: 21

May 5, 2010, 09:46 PM

Is there a recirc pump on the hot water side, and is it on a timer? If so it might possibly be the checkvalve that is going bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vibrating pipes [ 1 Answers ]

My pipes were noisy vibrating so I installed bumpers on the main water supply and one on the hot water as it comes out the tank I also put one on the line going in to the hot water .there is no change . How do I track down the cause of my problem.

Vibrating pipes [ 2 Answers ]

I have air in my hot water side of my sink faucet in my third floor bathroom. How can I fix this?

Vibrating pipes [ 2 Answers ]

My shower the pipes vibrate when hot water is turned on and water pressure goes way down what would cause this to happen ?

Vibrating pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have problem with my pipe vibrating. In the morning when I flush the toilet (in first floor) or turn on the water supply either hot or cold water, the pipes vibrate for about 20 sec very loudly and then stops. If I flush again, then it won't vibrate. If I don't use the water again for some...

Vibrating pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had a problem with an extremely loud, machine gun type sound in my water pipes whenever someone turned on the hot water too quickly. I would also hear a loud bang noise when any toilet was flushed, when the water would stop flowing in. At first it was fairly random when it would happen...

View more questions Search