Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unemployed33 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

May 4, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Fired on my 89th day
    I was working for a small cpa firm with a single owner as an office manager. Yesterday, on my 89th day, I was told that I was getting fired. The reason that was given to me was that I did not get fingerprinted to be registered as an investment assistant. Here are the facts:

It was never discussed with me upon my hiring that he would like for me to be registered as an investment assistant. He asked me to get fingerprinted a few weeks in. But at the time, he also said that it was not urgent because we were going to be swamped with tax work.

Our complete focus was on tax work up until April 15th, after which our immediate focus and last real important deadline was April 30th for our clients payroll taxes.

He has very little investment work and my registration as an investment advisor up until that point was absolutely not needed.

I am a graduate of a top ranking business school and had significant work experience, yet I was grossly underpaid ($14/hr), compared to past earnings as I was told that I would receive a bonus after tax season which bring that around to $21/hr (which I never received). Also, we had discussed long term plans of me buying out his practice once I was licensed as a CPA which is why I took the lower pay.

We never signed ANY contract when I began working and still had no contract in place, nor was any probationary period verbally discussed.

I did my job well and never heard a single complaint from him or heard him voice any displeasure of my work at any point in time, Nor was the fingerprint issue discussed as fireable offense or discussed as an urgent issue. On the contrary, it was downplayed often as when I would attempt to discuss his investment business, his response was routinely "we'll worry about that after April 30th."

I constantly asked him to give me greater responsibilities or asked him what I should prioritize and his response was always "I'll discuss that with you later."

I know I was let go on the 89th day to avoid him paying unemployment and I have suspicion that he always intended to have me work through tax season and then let me go after the April 30th deadline. The timing is to coincidental that I was hired on Feb 3rd and the 89th day was the day after our last major deadline. Is there a case for me to file a wrongfull termination claim so I could collect a bonus I should have received? If nothing else, reveal to him my intentions to file a civil suit unless he were to pay me severance?
    Please help!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployed33 View Post
    I know I was let go on the 89th day to avoid him paying unemploymen...t Is there a case for me to file a wrongfull termination claim so I could collect a bonus I should have received? If nothing else, reveal to him my intentions to file a civil suit unless he were to pay me severance?
    Hello un:

Sorry for your troubles. However, your high powered business school SHOULD have taught you to get stuff IN writing... Without it, you have no recourse... You are an "at will" employee, who can be fired for any reason at all or no reason whatsoever...

I don't believe there's a 90 day period regarding your unemployment compensation, though... I'd certainly apply.

excon

May 4, 2010, 09:25 AM

I know that I'm an "at will" employee and my recourse is limited. To be honest, I'm almost certain that I don't have a case. However, what I am hoping is that once he is facing the threat of a civil suit, he will realize that fighting the case would cost twice as much in legal fees then it would to just pay me a small severance. I am stronly considering calling him today and letting him know of my intention to file a suit. Even if he knows I don't have a case, he'd still have to hire legal representation to fight it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2010, 09:29 AM

Actually, I think you MAY have a case here. I agree the nature of the business and the timing of his actions DO make it suspect that he hired you only to see him through tax season. I think a judge and, especially, a jury would see it that way as well.

How much of a bonus where you expecting? If its enough to use small claims court, then I would file.

May 4, 2010, 09:36 AM

I was expecting a bonus around $2000 to $5000 in May and a similar one at year-end. Honestly, all I want is one month's severance, which really isn't that much. I'm not greedy or looking to break the bank. I have a wife and a family and need to pay bills now. I had no warning and was left with my pants down.

Is this something that I can file in small-claims court? What do you think his legal cost would be to fight a small-claims suit?
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 09:41 AM
    I am stronly considering calling him today and letting him know of my intention to file a suit. Even if he knows I don't have a case, he'd still have to hire legal representation to fight it.
    Hello again, un:

Oh, I'm all for the intimidation tactics. I think the guy is a jerk and if you can get something from him, go for it. But, he MIGHT know his rights, and he MIGHT know that defending a case in small claims court is cheap and easy. No, he does NOT need legal representation there.

So, if you're going to INTIMIDATE him, don't try it with small claims court. That court, by its very nature, is UN-intimidating.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 09:47 AM

And if you're going to intimidate him, don't warn him first by phone.

Sorry, Scott, but I don't see a case here - it's employment at will. I no longer need your services, you are gone. My accountant goes through personnel every year at tax time. It's part of the business (unfortunately, but I would think people in that business are aware of the facts of tax time = employment).

Now, if there's an agreement to pay severance OR commission OR something else, well, then I see a case. I am troubled that the top ranking school didn't advise OP (as Excon said) to get it in writing. Also, OP is complaining about the low pay - that's another issue.

I also see the OP questioning and asking and pushing and perhaps the employer got tired of asking questions. Not saying it's fair but it's a tough economy.

Can't OP collect Unemployment from his previous employer?

As far as buying the business or anything else - I see the Court questioning why the agreement wasn't in writing. Is it puffery? Perhaps. Is it outright lying? Perhaps. Is it a failure to have a meeting of the minds? Most probably.

If there was a requirement that the OP be fingerprinted and the OP was NOT fingerprinted (for whatever reason) I see the OP breaking the contract (if the Court sees a contract), not the employer. Again - if.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2010, 10:24 AM
    I know that I'm an "at will" employee and my recourse is limited. To be honest, I'm almost certain that I don't have a case. However, ...
    Even if he knows I don't have a case, he'd still have to hire legal representation to fight it.
    It would be unethical for an attorney to take your case under these circumstances. There are mechanisms in place to punish attorneys who breach ethics.

And it would be unethical for you to do it yourself in small claims court. If it comes out you knew you didn't have a case and were suing solely as a nuisance suit, and if I were the judge, I would sanction you with a punative award.

May 4, 2010, 10:41 AM
    It was unethical for him to fire me the way he did. To string me along and have me pass on a better paying job because I had already made a commitment to him. It was unethical for him to praise my work and give me a false impression that my employment was secure when it clearly wasn't. It was unethical for him to conveniently time my hiring and firing around his busy time and prevent me from collecting any benefits that I would be due after 90 days. If he needed a temp, then he should have hired a temp, but then again a temp would probably not put forth the effort I did because they wouldn't have falsely assumed there were long-term goals to work towards.

The only reason I say that I know I probably don't have a claim, is because I made a gross mistake by believing he was a man of his word and did not get anything in writing. I have owned a successful business before and have had employees work for me. I never once bs'ed them when I hired them or treated them unfairly when I fired them.

And it's worth while noting that one of the reasons I didn't ask for anything in writing is because he told me on a few occaisions that he was considering creating a new position which would pay more and would slate me for that position. He first mentioned this the day I was hired and kept putting it off because we needed to get through tax season before he had time for this matter.

May 4, 2010, 10:46 AM

Essentially you're telling me that I should just bend over for this guy, let him have his fun and walk away with a smile because it's "unethical" to pursue what's "ethically" do to me.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2010, 10:46 AM
    It was unethical for him to fire me the way he did. ...
    I'm sorry for your predicament. But you probably know the old saying:

"Two wrongs don't make a right."
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    It would be unethical for an attorney to take your case under these circumstances. There are mechanisms in place to punish attorneys who breach ethics.

And it would be unethical for you to do it yourself in small claims court. If it comes out you knew you didn't have a case and were suing solely as a nuisance suit, and if I were the judge, I would sanction you with a punative award.

Absolutely and you caught what I hadn't even thought about.

All good points - and the Courts are getting tough on people who file frivilous lawsuits in my area (including Small Claims Court).
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 10:56 AM
    Essentially you're telling me that I should just bend over for this guy, let him have his fun and walk away with a smile because it's "unethical" to pursue what's "ethically" do to me.

You asked about the law, your options, what you can do. You've gotten several legal opinons - all pretty much the same. If you don't believe "us" start calling Attorneys or go immediately to Small Claims Court and file. Come back and tell "us" the result.

If you want to talk ethics, post on some other board, not the law board. We don't argue ethics here. We post and discuss the law.

And if you didn't bother to get it in writing and that allowed him to bend you over, have his fun and walk away with a smile... whose fault is that? The Courts don't and can't enforce ethics. They can enforce stupidity.

Next time get it in writing.

And why can't you collect unemployment benefits through your previous employment?
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:00 AM

Hello lawyer:

The OP has a question whether verbal representations made to him are enforceable. They may, or may not be. To suggest, however, that he's ethically challenged simply because he wants a judge to rule on the issue, is uncalled for, and not factually correct. In fact, if he could PROVE his allegations (and who says he can't), he may very well prevail.

excon
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello lawyer:

The OP has a question whether verbal representations made to him are enforceable. They may, or may not be. To suggest, however, that he's ethically challenged simply because he wants a judge to rule on the issue, is uncalled for, and not factually correct. In fact, if he could PROVE his allegations (and who says he can't), he may very well prevail.

excon

"AK" can speak for himself; however, it is unethical for an Attorney to take a case simply to intimidate the other party, knowing there is no cause of action. I believe that is what is being addressed here. The "I can't win but it'll cost him money to fight me" line is the trigger here.

If OP is retaining counsel in order to obtain wages and benefits, that's a whole different story.

And, again - I find that fingerprinting was a job requirement. OP didn't get fingerprinted in the first 89 days of his employment. I don't see that the employer had an obligation to keep asking. OP is certainly clear on that requirement now.

Of course, OP lost me with his whole "bend over and enjoy it" philosophy/defense. I see the frustration. I just don't get the attitude. I'd STILL like to know why OP can't collect based on previous employment.

And now I'll step back and let you and "AK" discuss this between you. Of course, the OP has drifted off -
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:44 AM

Hello Judy:

I don't think he'll win. You don't think he'll win. AK doesn't think he'll win. Hell, even the OP doesn't think he'll win. Guess what? He STILL could win. Who knows if his employer, when put under oath, might just tell the truth? Who knows if he doesn't have notes of his promises? Who knows if some other employee didn't hear the representations made to the OP?

All I'm saying, is lots of things could happen between NOW and time for court. I agree, the motives behind the threat are intimidation, however, that's because he doesn't believe he has a good legal case, and we've supported that belief. He ISN'T a lawyer. That's why he's here. It also doesn't mean that he sincerely believes that the representations made to him are enforceable.

Consequently, I think the ethics charge is out of line.

excon
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 12:22 PM

Understand your point of view.

Now it's between you and AK and I'll be standing over here -

May 4, 2010, 12:23 PM
    I'm not able to collect insurance through my past employer because I was a full-time graduate student in 09 and have not worked since 08. Part of the problem with the judicial system is that it does not view ethics and law as one and the same. If that was the case, insurance companies wouldn't be able to get out of paying claims to victims of circumstances who were misled.

Now I'm not saying that I'm a victim in this matter, I understand that the mistake to not obtain the contract in writing was my mistake, which is why I don't feel like I can win in court. But I don't know if verbal commitments are enforceable and if they are then I certainly do have a case. Excuse me for being a little snippy, it's obviously not directed at anyone here but I am certainly frustrated that last week I was told I'm doing a good job and to stay on top of things because I have a real future here and a week later I'm fired. I'm very frustrated that someone I held up my end of the bargain for possibly pre-meditated placing me in a very tough bind.

As far as the intimidation tatic is concerned, it's pretty common place in legal matters isn't it? Why do parties counter sue? What's wrong with creating leverage. I'm not at all extoring or blackmailing anyone. I am happy to let the judicial system decide and that's up to him but that's probably not in my best interest and it probably isn't in his best interest. And when you're talking about Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants etc. ethics do matter because that is part of their designation; to perform their trait in an ethical manner. Regardless what the law states.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 01:24 PM
    I'm not able to collect insurance through my past employer because I was a full-time graduate student in 09 and have not worked since 08. Part of the problem with the judicial system is that it does not view ethics and law as one and the same. If that was the case, insurance companies wouldn't be able to get out of paying claims to victims of circumstances who were misled.

Now I'm not saying that I'm a victim in this matter, I understand that the mistake to not obtain the contract in writing was my mistake, which is why I don't feel like I can win in court. But I don't know if verbal commitments are enforceable and if they are then I certainly do have a case. Excuse me for being a little snippy, it's obviously not directed at anyone here but I am certainly frustrated that last week I was told I'm doing a good job and to stay on top of things because I have a real future here and a week later I'm fired. I'm very frustrated that someone I held up my end of the bargain for possibly pre-meditated placing me in a very tough bind.

As far as the intimidation tatic is concerned, it's pretty common place in legal matters isn't it? Why do parties counter sue? Whats wrong with creating leverage. I'm not at all extoring or blackmailing anyone. I am happy to let the judicial system decide and that's up to him but that's probably not in my best interest and it probably isn't in his best interest. And when you're talking about Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants etc., ethics do matter because that is part of their designation; to perform their trait in an ethical manner. Regardless what the law states.

Insurance companies "get out of" paying "victims" who were "misled"? What insurance companies, what victims and who was misled? I have no idea what you are talking about - and I'm a liability investigator. What does that have to do with your problem? Again - you are arguing morals, not law.

No, intimidation is NOT commonplace in legal matters. Good argument is, yes. Intimidation, no.

Again - you are confusing moral issues and the law. If you are arguing the morals of your ex-employer, report him to "his" licensing board.

Yes, verbal agreements are admissible and can win a lawsuit. A Judge will listen to both sides of this and determine which story makes the most sense, who is the most reasonable. Again - I think an argument can be made that you broke contract by not getting fingerprinted. At that point all arrangements were off.

A Judge will look at what benefit there would be to you if you are telling the truth, what benefit there would be to your ex-employer if you are telling the truth, what is most likely to be the truth - your version or his, what is most realistic, what is most plausible.

I'm out of this argument - you either won't or can't hear what I'm saying.

Sue your employer and let us know how this works out. I'm tired of defending the law and how it works. Post this on some other thread and discuss the moral issues.

You already have been told the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2010, 04:07 PM

First, you don't want to sue for severance, because you are not legally entitled to severance. The only cause of action you have is that he terminated you rather than pay a promised bonus. That is a valid cause of action, despite the at will employment issue. The problem is going to be proving you were promised the bonus.

AK and Judy are right but I still think you have a valid cause of action that negates some of their arguments. Will you win? I don't know, but I think its enough of a possibility to pursue it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had my period for 5 days stopped for a day light bleeding next day could I be pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I was 3 days late for my . An then when it started it was heavy during the day then very light or nothing at all at night and only lasted 5 days, on the sixth day I didn't have any bleeding at all, the next morning my boyfriend and I had normal, nothing different protected sex like we usually do...

Can a salary employee be punished by unwillingly work an extra day.6th day? [ 1 Answers ]

My employer punishes all salary employees by making them work an extra day a week with no warning... is this legal?

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search