Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    llssd28 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 07:53 AM
    How do I tell a 8 yr old that her father commmitted suicide
    How do I tell a 8 yr old duaghter that her father commmitted suicide. Recently she has faced some question at school from friends about what happened to her father.. her grades have gone down and she just is not coping anymore, she has started lying and not doing her homework.. can this affect her?

Regards,
    Kay
    Blue Angel Posts: 266, Reputation: 51

May 4, 2010, 08:52 AM

This will definitely affect her throughout the rest of her life, but she can learn to cope with it and move on with her life. My situation was a little bit different, my mother was murdered when I was three. The best thing you can do is be honest about what happened, she will be more angry if you lie to her and she finds out the truth later on. Also, she'll need cousniling especially now and through her teenage years to help her work through what's she's feeling. She may not even know how to explain what she's really feeling.
    One thing that really helped me in that area was a collage my counsiler had me put together. I had to cut pictures and words out of magazines that I felt gave a voice to what I was feeling and then we talked about it and had me explain each selection. This is something that you could possibly do with your daughter as well to help you both work through this tragedy together.
    She will had to deal with cruel kids at school as well. Some will be mean and make fun of her for what has happened, my sisters and I used to get picked on about our mothers murder. You should keep communication open with her teachers and school counsilers if that is happening too.
    I wish you all the best in working through these difficult times.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

May 4, 2010, 09:09 AM

Hello Kay,

I personally wouldn't tell her that her Father committed suicide, not at eight years old. I would wait until she is older. Don't get me wrong, I don't think ANY age is a good age to find out that their parent has committed sicide, however, she will be tainted by it at such a young age. Let her keep good thoughts for now. Let her think that her Father died without warning. Does that make sense?

If you think her grades are bad now, think of the damage it will do to her knowing he killed himself. Wait till she is older. Paerhaps in her mid/later teens.

I understand you need to do what you have to do, and I'm assuming that this is your Daughter, niece, or someone close to you, so you know her better then I do.

I am thinking if it were my child, how I would handle it. At this stage of the game, I just wouldn't reveal that to an eight year old. She won't know how to tell the kids at school, and it's really none of their business any how.

Again, this is my opinion, you have to do what you have to do.

Good luck.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:28 AM

Kay

Death affects everyone. Death by suicide poses all of the regular problems of mourning and readjustment plus different and additional problems. These problems are further compounded by your daughter's age and her inability to recognize and give expression to the loss she feels. This is truly a circumstance that requires special knowledge and experience.

There is an excellent organization that receives far too little media notice, Survivors of Suicide. I have years of experience in suicidology and have found this group to be one of the few offering expert family assistance in the aftermath of suicide for all family members. The organization, about 30 years old, is composed of groups throughout the nation. Hopefully there is one in your area. These are people who have lived through the same circumstances you are now confronting, with leadership that has been trained through the American Association of Suicidology.

Most of the services are free. The highest price I found (for any particular group) was $80 for 8 sessions.

For a listing of support groups by state go here.

Hope this will be of assistance to you and your daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My father committed suicide [ 51 Answers ]

I'm not really writing this because I want specific advice, but to share and I hope someone will share with me if the have lost someone to suicide! My dad turned 45 on march 16th and on the 17th he was found hanging on a door in the hall way of his house. He was found by his girlfriend of 20...

Suicide?! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm so depressed and I feel like no one will be able to help me. :( I so badly want to end my life but I don't know if I will end up killing myself or not. I AM SO CONFUSED!! :confused: Will I really end up actually killing myself or will I pull through?

Don't know what to do? SUICIDE? [ 4 Answers ]

I don't know what to do? Sometimes I come to the point when I want to commit suicide ! What should I do?/COLOR]

Suicide [ 26 Answers ]

I know that this probably is not the correct fourm for this, but I know that it is a highly answered forum so I hope you don't mind me posting my question here, but I am in desperate need of advice. My friend tried to commit suicide on Thursday night last, she was my best friend for a few years...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search