Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fultron Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 07:33 AM
    Moving WC location
    I have an up and down condo where I own the second floor and do not have access to the first floor to make changes.. The master baths are stacked and use a common 3" vent stack. I want to make my master bath slightly larger and move the WC back toward the vent stack about 12". This puts it right on top of the shared stack. Can I mount my WC directly on the 3" stack assuming I continue the vent by coming off the existing 3" stack under the WC?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2010, 07:51 AM

I have an up and down condo where I own the second floor and do not have access to the first floor to make changes..
    If you haven't access to the first floor so you can open up the ceiling to make the changes how do you intend to proceed? Let me know. Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2010, 08:10 AM

Do you belong to a Condo Associiation, is there a covenant agreement covering your units?

May 4, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    If you haven't access to the first floor so you can open up the ceiling to make the changes how do you intend to proceed? Let me know. Tom
    It is a wood frame building I will pull up the floor in my bath to access the pipes. I have already investigated pipe layout via video. Current WC is connected to the stack via 3x3 sanitary T I assume I could remove the T put in a 3x2 Y on top of the stack and take the 2" VTR the WC flange on top of the Y.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 4, 2010, 10:46 AM

I have done many such a toilet relocating - but never where toilet would fit exactly on top of the stack. There was always some way to Tee it off from the stack.

I don't see any problem doing it the way you want to do it provided it is roughed-in just like you explained and as long as you don't eliminate the existing vent and -of course - reconnect it. However, let's see what other Experts have to say...

On personal note: Be careful with doing such a major toilet relocating and pipe modification in a condominium building. You don't own what's inside the walls. If there is any problem with leaks or back ups, you may put yourself in a quite uncomfortable situation. I would talk to the HomeOwner's Association first and also have it inspected by City Inspector - just to be on safe side.

Good luck and let us know how it all worked out for you. Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2010, 03:13 PM

I agree and had the same suspicion in post #3. Many condos are set up where you own from the paint on in but nothing uder the paint. Much of the structure is considered common property and it is not yours to modify
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

May 5, 2010, 04:12 AM

In my experience the only problem with bringing the vent from the drain instead of the drain going to the vent (for toilets) is that you sometimes will end up with a gurgling sound on the toilet flush which of course means it wants more air.

May 5, 2010, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHayn View Post
    in my experience the only problem with bringing the vent from the drain instead of the drain going to the vent (for toilets) is that you sometimes will end up with a gurgling sound on the toilet flush which of course means it wants more air.
    Thanks for your responses.
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

May 6, 2010, 04:33 AM

I reread this question and realized I was in a hurry yesterday and left and important part out of my response. I have only noticed that gurgling when you take the vent off a vertical toilet drain directly below the collar. Which is what I believe you intend to do.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 6, 2010, 06:37 AM

That vent could be considered "common area" and most Condo Docs. Don't allow you to modify a common area. Check with your Condo Board for approval. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigerator not cooling after moving to a new location [ 3 Answers ]

We recently moved my in law to another place and her refrigerator to our house. It was moved in the veritical position and left unplugged for 24 hours. I have plugged it in but it is not cooling at all - plugged in for 24+ hours. It was working beautifully before the move! Any suggestions on a...

Does a non-compete clause apply to primary location or location of employment? [ 13 Answers ]

Does the non-compete apply to primary location of business, location of employment or any of the locations? There are 3 locations in my area, the clause states 10 miles and 2 years.

Moving toilet location in concrete slab. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to move a toilet 28" to the right of where it is now located. The current pipe runs directly back to the 3" vent to sewer (approximately 18" of run). The slab is post tension and has a cable to the right of the vent pipe and to the front, between the toilet and the vent pipe. I...

Moving a kitchen Range Location [ 4 Answers ]

We are remodeling our kitchen & would like to move our range 12 ft along the same wall, and hardwire to a counter top unit. That wall would be stripped down to studs. It appears that we would no longer need the receptacle. Can we use the receptacle box as a junction box for extending wire...

Work location is different from employer office location [ 1 Answers ]

I work for NY based company and as an IT consultant. My actual work location is at the client's office which is in NJ for the whole of 2007. I also live in NJ. Will my income be considered as income earned in NJ or NY? My employer has withheld NY taxes though I live in NJ and my work location is...

View more questions Search