Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macdoncl Posts: 55, Reputation: 7

May 4, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Getting Dehydrated Dog To Drink
    I have an 6-10 year old lab mix that was diagnosed with HGE last night. He was vomiting and had bloody diarrhea all day yesterday. I took him to the vet and they gave him some IV fluids to take the edge off the dehydration but I couldn't afford to leave him there all night. We're home and started the medications but he doesn't want to drink. I'm afraid he'll get worse if he doesn't drink more, how can I get him to drink?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 09:26 AM

Can you get some pedialyte?

That's safe for dogs and great for dehydration. You can add it to his water or if he won't drink give him a syringe full (without a needle) down his throat every 15 minutes to half an hour.

May 4, 2010, 09:48 AM

I called my vet and they gave me the OK on pedialyte, he still won't drink on his own but I've been doing the syringes. I'm really worried about my guy, all he does is lay on the floor or couch.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 09:58 AM

Did your vet give you an idea as to what it could be or are they running tests?

Unfortunately apart from keeping him hydrated and rested there isn't much you can do from home. If he wants to just lay there, let him, sounds like the poor guy isn't feeling too god so he probably just doesn't want to move.
    What do we do when we are sick? Lay in bed with a box is tissues, a bottle of water (or chicken soup) and sleep.

Is he eating anything?
    You might want to try offering him some boiled chicken and rice... it's nice and gentle on their stomachs.

May 4, 2010, 10:19 AM

They did a bunch of blood work last night and said they were almost certain it's hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, they gave him some fluids and antibiotics through IV. He's not allowed any food today except to take his medicine and then we'll see how he is tomorrow and go from there. They didn't want him to continue vomiting and passing blood and risk making the dehydration worse. I stayed home from work today to make sure he drinks enough and doesn't get dehydrated again. But if he picks up I'll try try the chicken and rice tomorrow. Thanks
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2010, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoncl View Post
    I'll try try the chicken and rice tomorrow. Thanks
    Try chicken bullion. There's less fats and it's easier on inflamed tissue while being tasty at the same time.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:05 AM

Just make sure it's not salted ;) Salt can make dehydration worse.

If you can make some yourself it would be even better.
    I don't know what's available in the US but the packaged ones here are full of carp.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 4, 2010, 11:15 AM

Yes, if you can boil a chicken and give him some of the juices diluted with water, or make ice cubes with the diluted mixture, he may be interested in that.

Poor guy I hope he starts to feel better soon.
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2010, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    full of carp.
    And other assorted trash fish. (mood lightening attempt)

Actually the salt in the bullion can help make him thirsty. There should not be enough in a cup of bullion to do more than make swallowing easier so he can take some water.

I wasn't talking about liters, you're right in that could cause severe problems, Shaz. Right now a couple of liters of anything could cause a problem. A cup now then a cup of water and repeat every hour with smaller amounts of bullion each time would be best in getting fluid into the system.

May 4, 2010, 11:41 AM

I'm a little leery of using anything with much salt, the vet also said an ulcer was possible, I think salt would irritate an ulcer if that happened to be the case. He's doing well taking the pedialyte so I think that's best until he's a little better. Thank you everyone for trying to help.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 12:10 PM

Wasn't arguing Cats, it's just the Aussie bullions and stocks are so salty it's gross... and I like my salt! ;)

There isn't really much else I can say at the moment macdocl other than I hope she picks up soon and feels better.

May 4, 2010, 12:27 PM

He actually seems to be picking up, we've been doing the pedialyte every 15 minutes for about 5 hours now and he just went and drank quite a bit out of his bowl and he hasn't vomited all day. Again, thanks everyone I was so worried, the vet told me last night that there was only a 25% chance of him recovering at home but there was just no way I could afford to leave him there.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 12:42 PM

I understand, I'm glad you took him to the vet in the first place... you wouldn't believe the amount of questions we get on here about peoples dogs who are dying and want "home remedies"
    As I said, you are doing everything you can and from the looks of it keeping him hydrated is working.

If you have any more questions just ask. We may not have all the answers for you but we are here for support.

May 4, 2010, 12:48 PM

The support was great, I think I needed it more than the dog did. My family always had dogs when I was growing up but he's the first one that's just mine, just us two and the cat that lets us stay here. I only adopted him a month ago and I already don't know what I'd do without him.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 01:06 PM

It's amazing how fast they work their way into your heart :)

I've had my puppy for 3 months now and I can't imagine life without him.
    I have 3 dogs at the moment, Prada I have had for 2 years, she is 3 now. And Brody is 2 and I have had him for a year.

They are family, not pets ;)
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 02:58 PM

You could also get your vet to show you how to give fluids under the skin. It's not nearly as effective as giving them IV but it works.
    Pest Control Expert

May 4, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Wasn't arguing Cats, it's just the Aussie bullions and stocks are so salty it's gross... and I like my salt! ;)
    I'm glad you pointed out that I didn't say anything about dosage. Keep me on my toes, I need it.

macdoncl, I'm glad the pedialyte is working. We can all agree it's better balanced than anything in the pantry. Now that he's drinking on his own you can up the amount and dispense with the syringe. Say "Yay!"
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 4, 2010, 04:07 PM

Fingers crossed for your pooch! It's just like having a sick baby at home. We are all here for you!
    konasmom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 05:35 PM

Will he eat ice cubes? That may help get some liquid into him.

May 4, 2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help and support, he's doing so much better tonight. He's even eaten a little chicken and rice and he had the energy to take me for a walk. He definitely seems more like his happy go lucky self. I know it's not over yet but I feel so much better now that he's more himself. So much for the vet saying he only had a 25% chance of recovery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

My dog is dehydrated and won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

A couple weeks ago my dog ate a large piece of string and is trying to pass it through his system now but it won't come out all the way. He started throwing up yesterday and won't eat and can't hold down water unless I give it to him in small amounts. I tried taking him to the vets. They want money...

Trouble feeding my dog, recently severely dehydrated [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, my dog was recently was severely dehydrated, to the point where she could barely hold herself up at times. My family and I thought she was done for for awhile, but she is still pulling through. My problem is that she barely has eaten anything, and it's been a hassle with the little she has...

My dog is very sick he can't keep anything down and is getting dehydrated [ 8 Answers ]

He is very larthargic like he can't get cumfotable, and when I give him water within 5 or 10 minits he has thrown it up, he can't keep anything down. I know the symptoms of parvo but he doesn't have diahrea or anything, and I'm trying to keep high hopes, he is a pit bull who just turned 5 months on...

Dog will not drink [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just had her teeth cleaned and a bump removed on her eye lid, she was put under, and will not drink any water. She is eating fine and going to the bathroom, but has not had any water in two days and very little water before that. What do I do ?

View more questions Search