Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandybk Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 05:41 PM
    Dentist failed to put sealents on teens molars
    I have a 14-year-old son who has not had any cavities in 5 years. We went to his (new) dentist for a routine 6-month cleaning and were told he had four cavities on the top of his back 4 molars. The dentist wondered why sealents were not applied, so she pulled out his old x-rays from 6 months ago and said the molars were in at that time and she did not understand why the sealents were not applied. The molars had no decay at the exam 6 months prior. The new dentist works within the same group dental practice, but at a different location. There was a serious lack of documentation in chart of my teen son (and my other 2 sons), such that it may go to a review board. I am very angry that this dentist's failure to practice caries risk assessment and management (considered standard of care) has caused permanent damage to my son's 4 permanent molars and will cost me upwards of $500 to repair. Should the dental group be held responsible for this?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 3, 2010, 05:48 PM

Do you remember any discussion about the importance of sealants or if you had paid for them?

Yes, if that is their standard of care, I would think the practice is liable for the fillings. As a mom, I would do everything possible to make it happen.

Flossie is our resident expert in dentistry, and I'm sure she will add something to this thread.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 07:51 PM
    It's a tough call. Did your son have sealants on his 6 year molars? Have they recommended sealants on his bicuspids?

How did the dentist who diagnosed the cavities find them? By x-ray, diagnodent or just by tactile sensation? Some dentists are quick to place fillings on teeth. I'd suggest you take your son to another dentist out of that practice for a second opinion. The decay could be early enough that a sealant that contains fluoride could be placed now and the tooth may never need a filling.

The photo on the left shows a tooth with shallow pits and grooves. The grooves are stained but after x-rays were taken there was no decay in the tooth. This type of anatomy on a tooth would normally not warrant sealants.

The photo on the right shows a tooth with deep pits and fissures and this anatomy definitely warrants sealants.
    Attached Images

May 6, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you remember any discussion about the importance of sealants or if you had paid for them?

Yes, if that is their standard of care, I would think the practice is liable for the fillings. As a mom, I would do everything possible to make it happen.

Flossie is our resident expert in dentistry, and I'm sure she will add something to this thread.

We had talked about the importance of sealants when we started going to this group 4 years ago and they have put them on my other son's teeth at this practice. I will pull out the bill from 10/09 and see if we were charged for them. Thanks!

May 6, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Yes, my has sealants all on teeth except the last 4 molars. The current dentist did not do x-rays, but recommended fillings because all 4 molars have extremely deep pits/grooves. Would a sealant with fluoride work in a situation where there are deep pits? I could try and take a picture and upload it. Would it be advisable to request x-rays to see if there is any decay in the tooth? There was no decay on the x-rays from 10/09. A second opinion might be worthwhile, although our insurance would not cover it if we went outside the group.

I did look up the group on the Wisconsin BBB and they have a rating of "F". Sigh... Unfortunately, this is the dental plan we are stuck with by my husband's employer.

Thanks Flossie!

Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    It's a tough call. Did your son have sealants on his 6 year molars? Have they recommended sealants on his bicuspids?

How did the dentist who diagnosed the cavities find them? By xray, diagnodent or just by tactile sensation? Some dentists are quick to place fillings on teeth. I'd suggest you take your son to another dentist out of that practice for a second opinion. The decay could be early enough that a sealant that contains fluoride could be placed now and the tooth may never need a filling.

The photo on the left shows a tooth with shallow pits and grooves. The grooves are stained but after xrays were taken there was no decay in the tooth. This type of anatomy on a tooth would normally not warrant sealants.

The photo on the right shows a tooth with deep pits and fissures and this anatomy definitely warrants sealants.
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 11:17 PM
    If she is recommending fillings just because there are deep grooves and NO decay or early signs of decay then yes, a sealant with fluoride would work. If she has no proof that these teeth have ACTIVE decay then she is recommending treatment that is not necessary.

May 7, 2010, 06:42 AM

No... the fillings are being recommended because he has cavities in the molars with the deep pits. No x-rays were taken. Diagnosed by exam. If cavities have already formed, would sealants with fluoride work?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2010, 07:05 AM
    It could, depending how far in to the enamel the decay is. Did the dentist use a device called a Diagnodent? I'd still recommend a second opinion from a dentist outside that practice. Just ask for an assessment for decay, don't tell them what your dentist has recommended. If it has been awhile since your son had cavity detecting x-rays ask them to be taken to check for decay between the teeth too.

May 25, 2010, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    It could, depending how far in to the enamel the decay is. Did the dentist use a device called a Diagnodent? I'd still recommend a second opinion from a dentist outside that practice. Just ask for an assessment for decay, don't tell them what your dentist has recommended. If it has been awhile since your son had cavity detecting xrays ask them to be taken to check for decay between the teeth too.
    I do not know if she used a Diagnodent... what does that do?

I requested the dental records. They took x-rays of those 4 teeth in Oct 2009 and there was no decay. These are teeth #2, 31, 14, 18. Should I request these be x-rayed to see the extent of decay. If the decay is only superficial to the naked eye... I would think the fluoride/sealent might work. Is that something I could request and then re-evaluate in a couple of months to see if it is working? Now tooth #14 states it had a sealant placed in 2008. Is it possible the sealant was never done on #14 or fell off? The prior dentist was very sloppy. There is no exam record for 2009. The last record is for 2008 and states moderate risk for caries -- I would think a patient with moderate risk for caries would be best served by placing sealants...
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Sealants can fall off if the tooth isn't kept dry when applying it. You have the right to choose the treatment you feel is best for your child. Definitely, if you do have sealants placed, they should be assessed for decay on a regular basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

How should your molars align with a "perfect bite"? [ 4 Answers ]

I've had my braces on for almost two years and now my orthodontist is starting to talk about the finishing details and when I'm supposed to get them off. But, she often overlooks things that I notice and I have to point them out to her, so I don't feel like I'm going to have as good results as my...

The Dentist [ 7 Answers ]

Guy and a girl meet at a bar. They get along so well That they decide to go to the girl's place. A few drinks later, the guy takes off his shirt and then Washes his hands. He then takes off his trousers and washes his hands Again. The girl has been watching him and says, 'You must be...

Being a dentist [ 4 Answers ]

Around how much will I earn if I be a dentist in USA? Or england?/:confused:

Filing Molars? [ 2 Answers ]

I got my braces off about a year ago, but had to get them put back on due to a faulty retainer that rotated one of my molars and made my bite open (unusual situation, I know). The molar is now almost in the correct position again, but the tooth is oddly shaped and larger than the molar on the other...

View more questions Search