Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgris94468 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 01:46 PM
    .99 the speed of light

At .99 the speed of light, exactly how tall would I be to an outside observer?
    Jim
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 3, 2010, 06:45 AM

It's a trick question. The perception of your height by the stationary observer is dependent on the vertical component of your velocity relative to the observer (I'm assuming here that you're standing vertically and moving in a horizontal direction - like standing on a train). But if you're traveling horizontally your vertical component of motion is 0, and there is no apparent shortening in the vertical direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light bulb size for a multi-speed four light five blade Casablanca Fan [ 2 Answers ]

I had a Casablanca ceiling fan (5 blades/4 lights) installed in the late 1970s or 1980s. It's still going great, but I am uncertain whether it can take more than 40 watt light bulbs. I would like to generate more light and am wondering if I can install 60 watt light bulbs in this fixture? Does...

Light speed [ 4 Answers ]

How much energy would we produce if we ran at the speed of light? And would it affect objects that are displaying kinetic energy?

Speed of light [ 1 Answers ]

What would be an experiment that could measure the speed of light?

Speed of light [ 37 Answers ]

Why can't we overtake the speed of light

Light Speed! [ 2 Answers ]

NASA has developed a rocket ship that can accelerate to the speed of light. The crew can tolerate only nine G’s. How long will it take to achieve maximum Velocity? Thanks for your (answer) help. William Pitts

View more questions Search