Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 08:30 PM

I need to add something else on a few fronts:

1. The infrastructure is supposed to have backup, but a tech on DSLREPORTS claims that they are not always in working order.

2. Two phones should not be an issue with any system.

3. Any VOIP service will have difficulty running at full modem type speeds especially 56K because of the modulation technique used and the frequency response of the line. Sometimes VOIP services won't get above 14.4K and sometime 9600 baud. It's also why some FAX machines have trouble working on VOIP. It's unclear what mediacom really has. They claim it's a mix. They do offer internet service, so you could look into that.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 10:46 PM
    Hi, KISS!

I don't have a voip system, if that's what you might be thinking. If you aren't thinking that, then I apologize for thinking that you do.

Mediacom is a mess. Many people around here know that. If I can get a Wi-Fi going again with one of my computers, that's what I'm going to do.

I've now been using just the phone line for the Internet connection now for about nine months. Other than being cut off frequently, I'm able to do most functions except for downloading anything in a timely fashion and I also really miss viewing YouTube videos as well as playing certain games online. Oh, well...

There is no money for anything but the basics in my household.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2010, 01:39 AM

From Mediacom's website: Mediacom | Phone | Our Advantage

[quote]How Mediacom Phone Differs From Other VoIP Phone Service

How Mediacom Phone Differs From VoIP Phone Service Instead of using the public Internet like some VoIP providers, Mediacom Phone utilizes a safer, private network including Mediacom's broadband network, Sprint's state-of-the-art digital network and the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) to connect calls.

This guarantees the quality of the network that carries the voice signal and provides a crisp, clear digital voice service. "

PTSN is defined here: Public switched telephone network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, this I'm worried about:

private network including Mediacom's broadband network, Sprint's state-of-the-art digital network
    If that's not VOIP, then what does
    How Mediacom Phone Differs From Other VoIP Phone Service
    mean?

I think it means you are on a VOIP network, don't you?

Modem over VOIP - voip-info.org

CommsDesign - MoIP: Making PSTN Modems Work on IP Networks

Unless mediacom knows your using a modem, they may be able to fix it or they may not want to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landline phone repair [ 9 Answers ]

My landline phone does not work.when I called the service provider phone co,they said the problem is inside the house. To fix the same they asking me to pay for the charges.

Landline phone ask me to set up a mailbox even though I had the phone for 20 years. [ 5 Answers ]

How come a phone I had for such a long time all of a sudden is asking me to set up a mailbox like I'm setting up a new number with the phone company? Also, the number that appears on others caller ID is different from mine. Can anyone explain how that happens. Thanks.

Landline phone problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my 3 landline phones sometimes ring and then incoming calls sometimes do not ring but one phone sometimes gives a slight ring. Also I can call out no problems. No computers or modems installed. Any ideas would be a great help before I have to call the phone company and pay for a service...

Landline phone wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Today, out of the blue, by home phone began to have problems with incoming calls. If you are calling the house, you will hear a partial ring, then lot's of static. Eventually the line will disconnect. If you are in the house and pick up the phone, after the initial partial ring, the call will...

View more questions Search