Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rock_kowgurl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Ex-Boyfriend Will Not Remove his Personal Property
    My boyfriend moved out of my apt. Sept. 21, 2006 and went back to Florida (I live in Columbus, Ohio.) I have since moved into a new place. This doesn't have anything to do with rent/lease/etc, but I have all of his stuff in a box in the basement. Do I have to act as a landlord would and keep it for six months before I can trash it, or can I just do whatever I want right now? It's been almost 90 days since he left, he's made no attempt to get his things back, and I don't feel I'm responsible for returning them. Please let me know, or forward some links because his stuff is taking up valuable storage space, not to mention I want him out of my life completely!

Thank you. :o
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Dec 5, 2006, 05:40 PM
    “. Now, do this first show some ethics contact him by register mail and if he fails to contact you within a few days make a banner select a nice yard and have a
    . “I want him out of my life completely sale”

Dec 5, 2006, 09:13 PM
    Well that sounds great, but is it legal? I don't want to get rid of all his stuff and then have him take me to small claims court of something like that over his nintendo and chess set. He would do that too...
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 5, 2006, 09:20 PM
    The other option is to put it in a rented storage place, pay the minimum amount and receipt-confirned mail him the key with a copy of the agreement. You're out of the loop then. And he is free to retrieve or pay. If he did sue you, you would countersue for storage fees anyway, which is why this is method is legal where I live (Florida) according to that folks I have known who did it.

Dec 6, 2006, 07:35 AM
    I should mention that while we were doing the long distance thing and when he first moved here, I bought all the plane tickets/hotel rooms/etc. and supported him until he got a job (that was for about 3 months.) I'm not willing nor am I able to pay for anything.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Hello:

This is what an attorney said yesterday in response to a similar question. I think it's sound advice.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    Try sending a letter by regular mail and certified mail to her last known address. In the letter tell her that she left behind some belongings and if she does not arrange to pick them up within 30 days then you will dispose of them. Also say that she will be responsible for all of your costs in connection with her belongings, such as storage and disposal costs.

Make sure you write on the envelopes "Forwarding and Address Correction Requested". If the certified mail gets returned but the regular mail doesn't get returned then it is presumed that she received it.
    excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 6, 2006, 08:44 AM
    How big a box is this? I would investigate what it would cost to ship it back to him. You may find its not that much more than going through the process of informing him of what you are going to do with it. Just ship it back to him and be done with it. You might even investigate shipping it COD.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 6, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_kowgurl
    I'm not willing nor am I able to pay for anything.
    I can appreciate those feelings however it may be necessary to pay a little bit of money and effort in order to have a solution without consulting the local laws where you live? There is no way to guarantee an attorney will respond here -- I have only seen one in the time I have been reading posts and that is the Lisa who is mentioned in Excon's post. Many good suggestions... with Lisa's two letters/30-day plan looking like the least cost and effort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kind of Personal [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently married to a wonderful man but I WEIGH 270 pounds... we are both young and i can't help but think my husband would like to have a very intimate night with me but they don't make any ''sexy'' outfits for women my size. At least i can't find anywhere where they do. I want to spice up...

Personal property lifes work [ 3 Answers ]

I fell on hard times and needed some quick cash for girlfriend.. I used to be a pro wrestling photographer.. I told my good friend I would give him all my photos like 8000 of them and told him to pick 500 of them and give me 300 dollars and I also gave him about 6000 negatives as well and told hime...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Personal Loan [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small company looking for a personal loan. I have bad credit and the company has only been around for 7 months. I am looking for $8,000.00 over 3 years and am willing to pay a high interest rate. I would like the loan to be unsecured but am willing to put the Equipment I own up for...

View more questions Search