Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnneP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
    2nd mortgage and maternity leave
    A few weeks ago, I filled out an application to borrow from the equity in my house. I wasn't approved at first, but then they did something they called a "reserve" plan, at which my interest rate was higher and then approved me. I am currently on maternity leave, but I go back on December 7th. My loan officer is now stating that the underwriter is concerned about my paychecks, which do not match my application (which they shouldn't considering the last 2 paycheck stubs were from my maternity leave -- which does NOT show what I actually make. ) I get paid on the 15th and the 30th, and work at a Group Home which requires overnights and 24 hour shifts. Of course, my sleep time and overtime are not reflected on my maternity leave paychecks. I did find an old check from May that showed my actual, average pay during the pay period. Of course, this check stub was too old. I also gave them my most recent w-2's. I told my loan officer that I would produce any amount of paycheck stubs prior to my maternity leave to show my average pay. I also told her to tell the underwriter that they could call my workplace to confirm that I will be returning with on those same terms. My loan officer also told me that the underwriter stated that I should go back to work and then produce a checkstub to reflect my hours. If I did this, I wouldn't get an actual check (showing my full schedule) until Jan. 15th. It kind of sounds as if I'm being discriminated against because I'm on maternity leave. The fact is... I am employed. I do have good credit (680), - - and there isn't a problem with debt to income ratios or anything like that. I know Im a good candidate for this, and I feel the only thing holding me back is the fact that I am on maternity leave. What is your take on this?
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Dec 7, 2006, 05:25 PM
    It sounds like a standard practice to me. When making a loan the lending company will consider your actual, current income. Not what it might be later. You are confident about what it will be in the future. They aren't.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2006, 08:00 PM
    An underwriter looks to make a loan that won't default. Therefore its natural they they might be concerned by leave checks. But they should accept a letter from your job about your returning. Maybe it would be easier to wait until after you get your first full check.
    RonSunTrust Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2006, 11:30 PM
    Hi,

I know that at the company I am with, we can use some common sense in such situations. I would normally obtain an back-to-work letter that allows me to demonstrate your overall earnings during the period prior-to Maternity leave and then show the back-to-work plan which woud document the time out of work and then back-at work pay. THis combined with verrification from the HR department or your direct suprovisor would do the trick for us.

Its certainly diffiicult for an underwriter to make judgements on "Future Consideration" but you are not asking them to do that in this case. You are gainfully employed on a maternity leave and will return to work. You can document this and with a FICO score of 680 you shouldnot present undue risk to an underwriter.

Ron Schwartz - Sr. Mortgage Loan Consultant

First, if the underwriter is asking you to return to work something is seriously wrong with your loan officer. The underwriter's role is to review and approve loans based on the risks that the loan profile represents. The loan officer is the one who should be your point of contact, your advocate and the one who translates the merits of your loan case file into an attractive package for you to review.

Either one of these clowns asking you to return to work while you are on maternity leave is like being asked to take medical advice from a Tow Truck Driver... it just doesn't fit... of course you feel discriminated against... if you actually took their advice you'd be practically neglecting your new-born child...

This process seems way too difficult.:confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back to work after maternity leave... [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - I am a new mum and have just gotten back to work after raising my daughter to 6 months. I loved ever minute of it and would love to be a full-time mum but we just can't afford it :(( I know so many others have gone through this and I really need help.My little girl goes to a...

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

2nd mortgage on Rental Property Possible? [ 9 Answers ]

I have two rental properties- one is a single family home I have owned for 7 years, the other a building with 4 apartments. I live in the apartment building, had to agree to that for the loan to work, so I ended up renting my previous house (the one I have owned for 7 years). So basically, both...

Should I leave him [ 14 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfreind for 4yrs. I lived with him the first 3 then he kicked me out for hearing I was cheating, which I wasn't and he knows.We have been getting along very well, but every time he gets angry with me for the smallest thing (ex. Calling him more than once when he is out with...

View more questions Search