Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anita_6 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2010, 09:55 AM
    how do you know if a wall is load bearing
    I would like to remove a wall between my bedroom and the one next to it. I also would like to bring the door down 3' in the hall. This would enlarge the bedroom from 12x11 to 12x14. The room next door is only 9x7 and I would turn it into a closet 6x7. How do you tell if a wall is load bearing, and if it is load bearing does that mean you have to put in steel beams. Thanks.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 02:35 PM

These are the 2 easiest ways to determine a load bearing wall.

Checking in basement, see if u have a support girder directly under wall. Measure from outside wall to girder and from outside wall to wall. If the measurements are the same or within 1 or 2 inches it is probably a bearing wall.

The better way is to check in the attic. If the floor beams in attic not a continuous piece over wall, it is a bearing wall.

The floor beams in attic from outside wall to some point in about center of house and the opposite outside wall will bypass each other. Where this happens, below the splice will be a supporting wall.

Hope this helps. If neither condition exists, get back to us and we can help with more options.

Good luck

Chuck
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

May 3, 2010, 03:35 AM

Simplest way:

If the wall is parallel to the ridge beam and basement beam, it is likely load bearing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 3, 2010, 08:28 AM

I have to go with Creahands on this one. I have a hallway down the middle of my house so both walls of it are parallel but only one sits on top of the beam and carries the load.
    anita_6 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 05:43 PM
    ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    These are the 2 easiest ways to determine a load bearing wall.

Checking in basement, see if u have a support girder directly under wall. Measure from outside wall to girder and from outside wall to wall. If the measurements are the same or within 1 or 2 inches it is probably a bearing wall.

The better way is to check in the attic. If the floor beams in attic not a continuous piece over wall, it is a bearing wall.

The floor beams in attic from outside wall to some point in about center of house and the opposite outside wall will bypass each other. Where this happens, below the splice will be a supporting wall.

Hope this helps. If neither condition exists, get back to us and we can help with more options.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Bowed Load Bearing Wall (Outside wall) [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings all, There is about a 8' section of outside wall / paneling in the den that is bowed to the bottom 4' of the paneled wall. It appears to me the water got in under the soffit and wet down the fibrous insulator board under the vinyl siding. Over time, the insulating board got...

Load Bearing wall Q [ 7 Answers ]

What size header will I need to replace a wall that is on the second floor with one floor above, span is 81"? TIA

Installing half wall in load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

We are attempting to make our kitchen open concept with our living/dining room by creating either a half wall or putting in a window (what is the correct name for that?) The wall is load bearing. Do we need a permit for that type of reno? What would be a realistic budget to set aside for that...

Load bearing wall [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 floor house that the 2nd flr is sagging. I have opened the ceiling under the sag and there's 3 2x8 nailed together as a header.my question the 2x8 header is appx 13 feet long is this to long for this size header or do I have another problem?

View more questions Search