Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texasrider4u04 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 02:34 PM
    Garnishment
    Hello All,

I recently had my bank accounts frozen and my bank card closed because of child support. I have been paying since 1993 and I recently switch jobs and informed the Child Support people in California of this. They sent the information to the wrong address and it went unpaid for three months. The problem is there is over $70,000 in my account and it was frozen for $921.00. I asked why didn't you contact me and the reply was it's my responsibility to insure payment and California has to many cases to call one guy. In the meantime I'm unable to withdraw funds for my other obligations.

Is there a way I can stop this from happening again. I know plenty of guys that don't even pay support and this is not fair to someone who does! I'm currently working in Iraq so I don't receive my paystubs on a regular basis and I'm not a resident of California!

Thanks,

Not a Deadbeat Dad:mad:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 04:12 PM
    I don't mean this wrong, but if the child supporet was not coming out of your pay automatically, you know how much it is suppose to be, you should have sent it, and aftrer one month you should have known it was due,

We have to take some responsibility for our own actions, you owe it, you know it is due each month, you got plenty of money in the bank, you should have wrote them a check for it and not had to worry.

Dec 5, 2006, 04:38 PM
    I know this Chuck and your right, however, I'm asking is there a way to stop them from taking this route if a guy IS and HAS been paying. Again, since I am in Iraq (contractor) I don't get a weekly pay stub and the one I received a few days ago I noticed my child support payment wasn't included.

I'm asking because it looks like I will be paying late fees on my other bills and let's not forget the family I support. Just looking for an answer, Chuck?

Not a Deadbeat Dad
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jan 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Sorry, but I have several friends who are contractors or working for contractors in Iraq and none of them have ever gone 3 months without getting a paystub, so to me, the story is fishy.

Second, having lived in California and received child support, the only way the "Child Support people" get involved is if you have had a history of non-payment, and they had to step in.

If you are able to get in touch with the Child Support and the bank so easily, it is hard to understand how they didn't have your correct address.

The simplest thing I can think of is for you to go to the HR representative of your employer, fill out the forms for direct allocation of your child support to the custodial parent and have a notarized copy sent to the custodial parent and to the "Child Support people."

ETA: if you have that much money in your account, why didn't you pay 6-12 months in advance before you left the country, since you would be inaccessible?

Jan 15, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Well, let's get this straight and out in the open, this all started in 1990 (laws change)! When I asked this question I thought it would be answered by an attorney not people giving there screwed up opinions. You are right about one thing, California will get involved when there is a history for non payment. HOWEVER, this does not include fathers who pay the mother DIRECTLY, as agreed in court, and then SHE knowingly goes to a different county and files for payment again. I was arrested on a traffic stop 10 months later for non payment. Once I went back to court and presented my payment history, I was let off with a "MY BAD" from the court. To ensure this would not happen again I was told to let them garnish my wages so there is a file on record SINCE California is a no fault state, which means they won't do anything about the blatant fraud! Second, I'm on a British base and US mail is not a concern of there's. Last, before you give an opinion check your facts, I was informed a few days after I posted that as of SEPTEMBER 2006 California will NOW allow you to prepay the remaining balance to The California State Disbursement Unit (SDU) which I asked about TWO years ago! You can know go directly to that website and make payments.

Bottom line, I thought this website was for people looking for legal advice and not worthless opinions of a few. You people should clean your own damn closet before telling someone how to do their's... FACT!! :cool:

Sincerely,

Not a Dead Beat DAD!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I am being garnished for a repossed car. I have been paying on this garnishment since 2003 of march. Every time I call the lawyers who is doing the garnishment they say that I still owed the same about I owe in 2003, they are still charging me interest even though the car has been resold can you...

I was served papers which I answered and sent the lawyer a demand for verification. They ignored the verification request and went to a different court and got a summary judgement. That judgement went through 3 months ago. Today I got a Summons of Continuing Garnishment. I left that job 6...

Garnishment [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just got garnishment against his wages on something that happened 8 years ago. First of all, is there a time limit on how long they can do that? And secondly, if we have money in the bank, can they do take that to? Thanks

Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

Doesn't VA have a Slow Motion to Pay that I can file in Fairfax? I can't seem to find it online and you can't trust the clerk's office to tell you the truth.

I was wondering is there a limit to what can be garnished? I know that the court can order wage garnishment and bank account Garnishment/freeze, but can they touch my retirement account? My husband's separate savings account? Can they order me to sell the house that is under my husband's name?...

View more questions Search