Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 09:15 PM
    Are Dark Leafed Vegetables More Nutritious to Eat Than Light Leafed Ones?
    Hi, All!

I've always heard that the darker the leaf, the more nutritious it is. Is that true?

I can really believe it concerning lettuce. But, what about other vegetables that have leaves that we eat?

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2010, 09:24 PM

I really don't know. I have heard that iceburg lettuce pretty much has no nutrients. I feed my turtle Romaine and I never buy iceburg unless I am making lettuce wraps or a certain blue cheese/bacon salad.

The other greens, I don't eat a lot of. Most cooked taste like cooked spinach to me. I love raw, but haven't got the taste yet for slimy:eek:

Cooked
    Turnips greens
    Dandelion greens
    Kael

They are all alien to me:D
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 1, 2010, 09:34 PM

I would think so. Like Just Dahlia said Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutrients in it and it's light green. Romaine and spinach are dark and they're nutritious.

I can't really think of any other light green leafy vegetables besides iceberg and cabbage though..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 2, 2010, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    I would think so. Like Just Dahlia said Iceberg lettuce doesn't have much nutrients in it and it's light green. Romaine and spinach are dark and they're nutritious.

I can't really think of any other light green leafy vegetables besides iceberg and cabbage though..
    Hi, XOXOlove!

Don't you think that cabbage might fall into a different category, though? I don't know that it's a vegetable that one might consider to be "leafy".

Thanks!
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 2, 2010, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, XOXOlove!

Don't you think that cabbage might fall into a different category, though? I don't know that it's a vegetable that one might consider to be "leafy".

Thanks!
    Hmm.. Isn't green cabbage leafy? Purple cabbage isn't very leafy, but green cabbage is. No?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good nutritious food. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best food/recipes for losing weight and being healthy?

When Eating Dark-Leafed Vegetables, Is the Darker the Leaf Always a Better Choice? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, All! The title is my question. I guess this could be just about lettuce of various kinds. But, there's also other types of vegetables where we eat the greens from them. I always tend to go for darker lettuces rather than Iceberg, because I heard that Iceberg lettuce has next to no...

Dark blonde/light brown to dark brown hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hey! My hair color is dark blond or a really light brown.. I-m not sure and I want to dye it dark brown? Is it safe? Or will I be getting a reddish color after a few washes? My natural hair is light brown but I dyed it.. a medium chocolate the stylist said but it really turned out to be a blondish...

From Dark Blonde to Dark Brown back to Light Brown [ 1 Answers ]

I recently lightened my already color-treated brown hair to a dark blonde color. I decided it looked unnatural and decided to dye it back brown. I picked up a light brown dye from the local beauty supply store and it came out way darker than I wanted or expected with a hint of green, and now I...

Son won't eat vegetables [ 6 Answers ]

I have problem with my son ,hi dozen like to eat vegetables .cane yo pleas tell me uhat to do I try to push him to eat but hi do uant.

View more questions Search