Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alimts Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 02:08 PM
    How to start teaching english for illiterate people
    I'm about to start teaching English language for illiterate people. I have some ideas, but want further details if possible like guide lines, materials, references, etc.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 4, 2010, 09:16 AM

I found this teacher resource/disucssion forum:

Teacher Discussion Forums :: View topic - Teaching illiterate students

And a document from UNESCO:

http://www.worlded.org/docs/Publicat...ts_to_read.pdf
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 09:33 AM

Are you wanting to do this as a business ? Or just do it as a service free of charge ?

Several churches in our area do this for free to people. So perhaps you would want to team up with others though a religious group or some other non profit that wants to do servcie for others
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2010, 10:03 AM

Do you have any qualifications?

Have you looked into doing a course?

If not,as an adult literacy tutor myself there is much more involved then just starting to teach.

You need to find out what level the person is,and where to start.

The age group you will be workng with needs to be taken into consideration,mature adults out of school a long time,will need different guidance then a young adult.

There is also the psychological aspects to take into consideration, years of hiding not being able to read or write,you may have a man/women who's family does not know,there is much more then just starting teaching unless you have been trained.

Home | NALA nala is the national literacy agency in ireland,I have provided a link,and also a link to 'word aid' Adult Learning Scheme | Kilkenny V.E.C..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English teaching [ 4 Answers ]

Hi One of my EFL students asked me: Why is it OK to say the dog of my friend, and my friend's dog... BUT NOT: Job's book and the table's leg? Thank you all for your help

Teaching someone who is illiterate [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know where to begin to teach an illiterate adult.

Teaching illiterate adults to learn English [ 3 Answers ]

I am a volunteer teaching English in my church but I have many illiterate adults trying to learn English, Is it better to teach them first to learn how to read and write in their native language?

Since the framers of the Constitution felt the people were too illiterate to elect a? [ 2 Answers ]

Since the framers of the Constitution felt the people were too illiterate to elect a? Presidential college Electoral college Election college

View more questions Search