Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mansel Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2010, 12:04 PM
    How much does it cost to develop/build a website?
    I would like to have a similar website(different in a few ways) -I am trying to get a similar layout to www.mygarden.co.nz and www.goinggreen.co.za. On average how much would it cost to develop something similar to the website I mentioned including hosting and licence? And excluding the shopping directory that the websites has.
    If you could please give me a quote I would appreciate that. I don't have any experience in building websites. I was quoted $1700 US. Is that expensive?

Kind regards,

Jock
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
    Hi, mansel!

What would you like to be able to do on your website, please?

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, mansel!

What would you like to be able to do on your website, please?

Thanks!

I would like to get a online travel guide website/business for Australia where I can list accommodation for different regions, activities, places to visit and have a forum. Hopefully in the near future the website would grow in content and people would advertise and also get Google to advertise as the site grows with traffic.

I like the layout/format from MyGarden - Home Garden, Gardening, Grow vegetables. I was quoted $1700 USD. Is that a reasonable price?

Please give me any advice. I am trying to make sure I do not get ripped off.

Thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:25 PM
    Hi again, mansel!

Until you go spending that amount of money, how about testing by using some of the free sites on which people can build websites? There's also free sites on which to advertise that get excellent exposure when people search for what you do, where you do it.

I have many ads on the Internet as well as run a number of websites. What I post on the Internet gets excellent exposure.

Would you be interested in testing some things for what you want to do without it costing you anything?

Thanks!

Apr 30, 2010, 12:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, mansel!

Until you go spending that amount of money, how about testing by using some of the free sites on which people can build websites? There's also free sites on which to advertise that get excellent exposure when people search for what you do, where you do it.

I have many ads on the Internet as well as run a number of websites. What I post on the Internet gets excellent exposure.

Would you be interested in testing some things for what you want to do without it costing you anything?

Thanks!

Yes, I would be. I have searched online and I couldn't find any trustworthy websites (free sites) that offers what I am looking for. I heard about about Wordpress and Web Hosting Ratings/Ranking (Reviews 2010): Top 3 Best Ranked/Rated Web Hosts for Personal and eCommerce/Small Business Websites - Cheap, Reliable Web Hosting Services/Companies/Providers/Plans for Your Sites - Affordable, Low Cost Web Hosters - Web . Not sure how easy it is through them and I do not have any experience using HTML.

There are so many scams online that I am afraid of just signing up for anything. That's why I came to this forum to see if I could get any feedback/advice on building websites or if I should just get a web developer to do it for me?

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks again.

Mansel
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 12:49 AM
    Please click the links below.

Link One

Link Two

Link Three

Link Four

Most of what you'll find for a number of pages on the searches will be about what I do, where I am.

None of that cost me any money. There's even more that I have out on the Internet. Those are just a sampling of examples.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 12:59 AM
    I can see that you're no longe logged on here, mansel.

If you would tell me the time zone that you're in, perhaps we could coordinate things so that we're on here at the same time.

I'm in the Central Time Zone of the U.S.

Thanks!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2010, 12:00 PM

Just to butt in...

If you use a premade forum script, from hotscripts.com or something, you avoid having to deal with active content on your own. That is where most of the money goes when you have a site developed.

I do design for a few business associates and only charge in the $100-$200 range for a well integrated html site. I don't do active scripting, so any logins and forum type stuff I find on the web for free.
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 12:47 PM
    That's very helpful information, InfoJunkie4Life!

Thanks!

May 4, 2010, 10:12 AM

Hi there,

I had a look at those links but not sure what you are getting to? I am in Namibia. There is a bit of a time difference :)
    What do you think of a company called Web Hosting Ratings/Ranking (Reviews 2010): Top 3 Best Ranked/Rated Web Hosts for Personal and eCommerce/Small Business Websites - Cheap, Reliable Web Hosting Services/Companies/Providers/Plans for Your Sites - Affordable, Low Cost Web Hosters - Web and wordpress? Can I build my website using those companies?

Thanks again. Like I said before I am a novice when it comes to web development.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 10:27 AM
    What I was getting at, is that links to what I do, appear many times on the first and at least a couple of subsequent pages in a search on Google. It also didn't cost me anything to do that.

May 4, 2010, 11:16 AM

Ok, so then what should I do to build a website. What software/company can I use that's easy and reputable?
    Uber Member

May 4, 2010, 11:38 AM
    You just start with those the links to which I've posted on your other thread. A website can be just a draft and in construction. It doesn't have to be complete the first day. The important thing is to just get something out there.

If you need help in knowing what to write on a website so that it does get excellent exposure, I'll be glad to help you.

So, pre-formatting what you might want to put in words on a website would be helpful.

I need to get to a couple of meetings right now...

Will return in about eight hours...
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2010, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mansel View Post
    I was quoted $1700 US. Is that expensiv
    Considering my company charges our clients about $8,000 to build a website, it's a pretty good price.

There are pre-packaged websites out there that are free that will deliver what you're asking for. The forefront of it all is WordPress, which, at one point was a blogging engine but it has been hacked so much over the years it can be used as a website and you wouldn't know the difference. I highly recommend you research it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I build a fund-raising website? [ 4 Answers ]

I have this great idea that I would love to turn into a website. I need a website that everyone can access easily. I want people to have the ability to post pictures, and for there to be links that categorize them, for example the Red link would lead you to red pictures and blue link to blue...

Need someone to build my website [ 9 Answers ]

I am opening a lingerie store online does anyone know of a good business to make the website for me> Thanks

How to build a website? I new but keen [ 10 Answers ]

OK I have been for the past year or so wanted to build a website and run a forum, unfortunately I have NO idea about how to do it and where to start I did try looking on the internet but everyone just refers me to sites that sell web space (which is OK I I knew how to make a site and wanted the...

View more questions Search