Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
    Big light in sky in Southeast Texas
    Saturday night I saw a very big light in the sky and it was pretty low in the sky. I wasn't sure if it was a star, planet or what. I couldn't find any information about it online.
    I was so amused I called my mom to go outside and look, but she couldn't see it from her house because of the trees, so I picked her up and drove until we could see it. The next night on Sunday it was there again. I'm not sure what time it was maybe 8pm or 9pm, my husband was watching UFC so I asked him if he would come out the next commercial to see the light. I forgot about it so I guess it was about 10-12 minutes later, we went out to show him and it was gone! So then he's joking with me saying it was a UFO-he probably thought I'd lost it lol. I don't think it was a UFO. I don't know what it was, but I really want to know.
    Does anyone know about this and what it may be?
    It was a very clear night both nights and it was in the eastern part of the sky (I think) maybe a little north, but it was quite low. It was opposite of the moon.

Apr 29, 2010, 10:04 AM

No it's not the east! It was the in the west!

Apr 29, 2010, 10:06 AM

Maybe northwest, but more west than northwest if that makes sense.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 10:30 AM

Ok, OK OK. Pictures would have helped though ;)

We cannot say for sure if it's an UFO (Unidentified Flying Object). I don't think that it was aliens though. There must something like a projector, though it might be unlikely. But who knows, until we discover what that was? :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 01:17 PM

It was probably Venus - it's low in the northwest sky after dusk, and sets pretty early. See:
    SkyandTelescope.com - This Week's Sky at a Glance

Apr 29, 2010, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It was probably Venus - it's low in the northwest sky after dusk, and sets pretty early. See:
    SkyandTelescope.com - This Week's Sky at a Glance
    That has to be it.
    Thank you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 2, 2010, 07:19 AM

Another thing is it could have been military flares from an excersize. But if it held stead in the sky for longer then maybe 10 minutes then its most likely venus as the others have said. One way to tell that is pretty cool. If you indentify it as venus then get a telescope or benoculars and check it though the month. You will see it goes through phases as our moon does. Its fascinating to see the cosmos in action.
    dada3232 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 12:02 AM
    I have been seeing the same light every night for the last two months and it is not venus... it appears around 8 and disappears around
    10pm... clueless to what it is.. Does anyone know/?? /

Sep 2, 2010, 12:05 AM

I have notice the same light in the sky for the last month... its start at about 8 and ends about 930pm.. it is not venus can anyone tell me what this light is... I am in houston Texas
    Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dada3232 View Post
    i have notice the same light in the sky for the last month...its start at about 8 and ends about 930pm..it is not venus can anyone tell me what this light is...i am in houston texas

Where in the sky does this light appear (what direction, and how high up from the horizon)? Does the light have any shape, or is it just a dot of light? What color is it? When it "ends" at about 9:30, does it just turn off, or do you mean that it has sunk below the horizon?

Please note that Venus, Mars and Saturn are all low in the southwest sky at dusk - see: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance Can you say for certain that it's not one of those?

Sep 2, 2010, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Where in the sky does this light appear (what direction, and how high up from the horizon)? Does the light have any shape, or is it just a dot of light? What color is it? When it "ends" at about 9:30, does it just turn off, or do you mean that it has sunk below the horizon?

Please note that Venus, Mars and Saturn are all low in the southwest sky at dusk - see: SkyandTelescope.com - This Week's Sky at a Glance Can you say for certain that it's not one of those?
    Well if I am on 59 driving north towards downtown, it is on my left... for certain it is to low to be a planet... it is lower than most planes that are driving by... and it's there every night... just take a lookie... and well it just disappears it doesn't go up or down just vanishes
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 2, 2010, 05:52 PM
    well if i am on 59 driving north towards downtown, it is on my left...for certain it is to low to be a planet...it is lower than most planes that are driving by...and its there every night...just take a lookie... and well it just disappears it doesnt go up or down just vanishes
    Have you tried using any optics to see it with? Binoculars or telescope or anything? Does it have a shape to it? Inner planets go through phases like our moon and outer planets don't.
    Expert

Sep 3, 2010, 04:42 AM
    well if i am on 59 driving north towards downtown, it is on my left...for certain it is to low to be a planet...it is lower than most planes that are driving by...and its there every night...just take a lookie... and well it just disappears it doesnt go up or down just vanishes
    Sounds exactly like Venus. I don't know what you mean by "it is too low to be a planet" - if you checked out the link I included in my earlier post you'll see that Venus is low in the western sky at dusk. My guess is that at certain points in your drive you have a good view toward the horizon and you see it, and at other points your view is blocked a bit - maybe by hills or trees - so you don't see it. I suggest next time you see it, stop the car, get out and watch for a few minutes. If it's a steady light, quite bright and low towards the horizon, then it's definitely Venus.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2010, 09:02 AM
    well if i am on 59 driving north towards downtown, it is on my left...for certain it is to low to be a plan
    I vote Venus setting too. I'm guessing it disappears on arrival in outskirts of downtown, occluded by buildings or a low hill.

Dec 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Interesting... I'm also in the Houston Texas area. I concluded it was Venus though, but I could be wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bright light in sky March 26, 2009 12:25 AM [ 9 Answers ]

I saw a very bright streaking light in the south (south/ southwest) sky early this morning at about 12:25 am. I am located in central Nova Scotia. It was much larger and much brighter than a shooting star. It was larger enough and bright enough to catch my attention through my french doors in my...

Sky Light [ 6 Answers ]

Any ideas how to cover up the sky light opening but still allowing it to look nice with a bit of a design flair to it? The amount of heat that the opening allows to come in is incredible. Well, living in Arizona I guess that's to be expected. My maintenance repair tech said to put Aluminum...

I want bamboo in the southeast! [ 4 Answers ]

As the title suggests, I actually want bamboo, and I am in Southern Mississippi. I have searched extensively on ABS trying to learn as much as I can on which species will suit my conditions and give me my desired results, but without doing some Q&A with those with firsthand experience, it leaves...

A big custody mess in the Houston Texas area [ 1 Answers ]

My 18 month old granddaughter is in CPS custody. I turned in my daughter to CPS because she stated to me that she was doing drugs (heated argument.. she popped off to push my buttons) and I was trying to protect my granddaughter. I was unable to take custody of her because my husband has cancer,...

View more questions Search