Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Serenity2009 Posts: 57, Reputation: 0

Apr 28, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Mobile Home Weddings
    OK so we just perchased a mobile home for 4k and we are brokeish. We wanted to throw a small wedding in our home and small backyard. We have a huge living room and kitchen as well as a semi small or medium backyard.

I had posted about using our friends backyard, but that was taken away. So we decided to use our home, how can we play it up to look like a wedding not a small confined space?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 04:19 PM

There is no way to play it up. It is what it is. In using the backyard for the ceramony and the inside for reception plus outdoors for dancing is about the onlt way to pull it off. Is there not any small halls or something you can rent for cheap? Also your going to have a food choice. Because if there is activity in the kitchen that will confine the space even further.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 05:13 PM

It is what it is, there are public parks, state camp grounds that all have wonderful places.

I do weddings at amusement parks, at the location he asked her to marry at. I do weddings at local coffee houses, back rooms of many eating places and more. I have done back yards, and did one last week inside a camping trailer.

Apr 30, 2010, 09:13 AM

I understand but it's a small wedding and we do not have the money to rent a hall. We are going to the dollar store for items and thrift stores I have my own fabric I made my dress. And he is wearing a button down. We want to have it in our home. All I am asking for is someone to suggest a few décor options or something, not to bash me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 09:22 AM

I did not see anything said as "bashing"

Ballons, streamers, those fake rose petals, some banners
    *** all available at "dollar stores" like Dollar Tree

You can bake your own cake and buy cheap tier stands at walmart

The fake flowers ( I hate real ones) at dollar stores work great.

And to be hoest decorations mean almost nothing, you don't remember them as much as the look in the others eyes when you say your vows.

Apr 30, 2010, 10:02 AM

Thank you. What I meant by that was not even answering the question and saying that other placees where better. Because right out the answers blew my home out of the question.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 12:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenity2009 View Post
    Thank you. What I meant by that was not even answering the question and saying that other placees where better. Because right out the answers blew my home outta the question.
    I don't see what your seeing. I was trying to be real about it. There is a lot to consider and your choices can be limiting so you have to make the best with what you have. And that is what I had said. Also in mentioning a hall there are many that don't even think about those because they aren't a member of some club etc. But many are open to the public at very reasonable pricing. That is why I threw that out there. Less for you to worry about on your special day. So be ready for anything because we can't control the weather.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

In a small space I think the best way to start is by taking stuff out of the house to make room for the people, and to eliminate stuff that will compete for attention with your wedding decorations. For example, you can take down the pictures on the walls and pack up photos and knick knacks, magazines and books - take out extra furniture items that won't be used for the event - and temporarily put it in someone's garage if you can.

Then you'll have more room and more of a blank canvas. Then I'd suggest you use some inexpensive white tule fabric (the kind of netting they used to put under dresses to make them pouf out), some ribbon in your color, perhaps some strands of mini Christmas lights (white wires) . Drape the lights and tule fabric around the top of the walls, swag it up periodically with your ribbon.

If you have any ugly furniture or furniture that has a really bold or distracting color or print, you can just cover it with a sheet - tuck it around the pillows and into the crevices to keep it in place - it should last for the ceremony or the day.

You can also use a lot of candles. If you are worried about a fire in close quarters, they have those inexpensive artificial votive candles at dollar stores or at Walgreens - we used them for my grandmother's memorial because the funeral parlor didn't permit real candles, and they were fine.

To save even more, pick wild flowers and put them in cheap glass vases from the dollar store and put them around the home. It's nice to put flowers and a candle in the bathroom - and make sure to put all your junk away in there, too - no curling irons or makeup or whatever - just throw all that junk in a closet for the day.

The best way to make any space look larger and nicer is to make sure it's immaculate (clean the windows and such), repair small things that look ugly (good to get it done anyway) and put as much as you can away. Declutter.

Have a good day! The wedding is just a moment in time - the marriage is what really counts!

May 11, 2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks I like the ideas. We have couches that we are using for people to sit on.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

May 13, 2010, 11:55 AM

Invite only a few people so it feels more spacious, yet intimate...

I used dollar store items, but try to think outside of the box. I found "silver" trays and used them as centerpieces with tea light candles sitting on them, sprinkled with (real) rose petals.

You can contact local florists to ask what they want for petals (they often tear off outside petals and discard them) for cheap. You could also go to nurseries to buy bulk flowers to cut yourself, which might be cheaper than even the fake variety.

Stick to only 1 or 2 colors to make the space appear larger and more elegant. Too much going on will leave a "cluttered" kind of feel.

Focus on what you find most important. Don't care about a cake topper? Don't use one! (we didn't) Just focus on whatever you'll look back upon in 10+ years and wish you had or what you wouldn't care about.

Good luck and congrats!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mobile home. [ 4 Answers ]

If someone owns a mobile home without owning the land,can a lien be put on it? By a lawyer. Thank you for your help!

Value of mobile home? [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone help me figure an approximate value of a 1975 mobile home that is about 1000 sq ft with a 400 sq ft addition in a state of disrepair inside (needs major clean out and moderate work-interior walls need sheetrock, floors need repair etc)? It is a mobile home only, no land included...

Conversion of mobile home to single family home [ 5 Answers ]

In 1995, we bought some land & moved a salvaged mobile home on it. The mobile wasn't permanent meaning we only needed to live in it until we could build our house. We first added onto the mobile a 12x60 section. We then began to tear down the mobile home & eventually added a front section. The...

Garden Tub Faucet - Home of Legend mobile home [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My sister has a leaky garden tub faucet. We can't determine how to access under the faucet. There is no access door. A closet is behind the faucet. When we remove the wallboard, we find the distance from the opening to the faucet too far away to access. Can you help? Thanks, Mary

View more questions Search