Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    siva2006 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2006, 08:19 AM
    Statute of Limitations
    Hi I had a car loan in New Jersey, I lost my job and came to Ontario. I couldn't pay the payments after I came to Canada. I had the car parked in NJ, I asked the bank to repossess it. They sold it for less. Now they are after me for the money. I want to pay them in full, but in monthly payments, they are asking for lump-sum and huge monthly payments or they would file a law-suit against me. Can they sue me after two years? It happened in 2004. Please help, I was wondering if the basic 2-year limitation period apply. They are dealing with me through a Canadian law firm.

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Hello siva:

I don't know about the "basic" 2 year term you're talking about. Every state I've looked at has 8 - 10 different statute of limitations given the circumstances. MOST states have a 3 year statute of limitations on civil suits.

Seems to me you could look that up online.

excon

Dec 5, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Hi excon,

I am talking about the Ontario Limitation Act,In 2004 Ontario introducted two limitation periods, 1. Basic (2 Year) 2. Ultimate (15 year). I am not sure if my case fits into the Basic period. If that's the case, I am safe. If not I am screwed.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Hi again, siva:

Wouldn't it be nice if that is that standard they'll use. However, you contracted in NJ - not Canada, and those are the standards in use.

You're screwed!

excon

Dec 5, 2006, 08:40 AM
    Hi excon,

My lawyer doesn't believe so. I am a Canadian Citizen living in Canada. They tried to contact me through a NJ law firm and didn't work. They handed over the responsibilities to a Canadian firm. They are going through the Canadian regulation and working with a Ontario law firm. I believe they cannot apply the NJ regulation when I am residing in Canada. That's my understading and what my lawyer says..
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Hello again, siv:

Well, far be it from me to argue with a lawyer, but for the first time in my life (lol), I'm going to. I think you're lawyer is wrong.

If you don't pay, ask him where they're going to file suit. Canada? Nope! It's going to be in NJ.

Think about it. You signed loan papers based upon NJ law. How can those laws be adjudicated in Canada? If you stole something in NJ, how could that be handled in a Canadian court?

If your case is going be based on NJ law, and it is, then NJ statute of limitations will apply.

Of course, I could be wrong... I was wrong back in '02...

excon

Dec 5, 2006, 08:58 AM
    I understand your point. Do you know that I don't see any of my USA loans (secured/unsecured) on my credit history in Canada. It doesn't cross the borders. If it's going to be based on NJ law, they wouldn't work with an Ontario law firm. Lets say that I don't make any payments and the judge orders to garnish my wages. How could they do it in NJ when I am in Ottawa? The SIN numbers are different... Anyway, I am trying to get more information about it. Lets see.. I will keep you posted..

Thanks
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Hello again:

Do you know that I don't see any of my convictions on my record when I run a criminal background check on myself?? And, that means what exactly??

In my view, they're working with the Ontario law firm because they're local to you. I don't know. If it was me, I would have hired a NJ law firm. Maybe the bank lawyers are dufus's too.

IF you're sued in NJ, and you lose, I believe the American judgment CAN be levied on you in Canada. If judgments could be avoided by simply moving, there would be a whole lot more moving going on.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations [ 1 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations on debt in Ontario, Canada? After 17 years, I have a lawyer looking for payment on the probating of my father's will and transfer of his real estate to my name. He forgot to bill for it back then. I forgot about it myself until I went to sell my house and found...

Statute of Limitations [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this qualifies as Small Claims or not... several of us have the same claim against a company, and each of our claims is just under $10,000. Between the 3 complainants, the value is closer to $28,000. We paid a Canadian company to outfit us for a trek in Bhutan. They use a...

Statute of Limitations [ 6 Answers ]

My dad received a diseased kidney during transplant in 2005 which the hospital never informed us at all... my mom had to find out on her own... my dad then passed away 2006 because of the transplant with disease the kidney had!! I was curious if we are going for Wrongful Death is it 2 years...

Statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

How long till I can't get arested on an out of province warrant . I'm living in another province and I want to go home fer a visit but I have warrents and I want to know when the statute of limitations comes into effect

Statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

How long is the statute of limitions for a bad debt- as a debt incured while in a credit- a check that was cashed for someone and deposited in the credit union- this is Oregon

View more questions Search