Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    statechamp171 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 07:09 AM
    I am adding a 1/2 bath in my basement. My setup is as follows:

I had a 4inch PVC sticking out of the floor, where I hooked up a toilet.

Located right behind the 4inch drain was a 2" vent/drain?

I wet vented the sink to this 2"line by making a horizontal connection (with 1/4 inch drop per foot)which is about 3 feet away, with 1 1/2 inch line, from the 2" vertical line in the floor. I extended this vertical piece from the floor vertically to an exterior vent (that was already in place before I started) I also extended the vent pipe above the sink drain about 3 feet vertically and then horizontly back to the 2" vertical vent pipe just described above.

Basically it makes a vertical vent stack with a rectangular drain/vent for the sink to the left. Hope that makes sense ( a picture is worth a thousand words!)

I hooked up the toilet but I have NOT hooked up the sink to the drain yet, has a rag stuffed in it! The toilet water level is low. Questions are as follows:

1) did I configure my pipes the correct way for both the sink and the toilet?

2) My toilet level is low because:

a) the little hose insn't connected to the overflow tube (sorry not at home to check), if not, connect it and try again

b) the toilet is a low flush 1.6 gals, aquaflush and the level is going to be low (should be checked by height of S trap on the back of toilet vs water level, again not at home to check), I guess live with it!

c) the drain/vent for the sink is open causing the low toilet water level, so connect sink drain and see if water level rises

d) the toilet has a small crack, last resort. Dismount the toilet and see if it hold water when not connected.

Is this the order I should check things? Or am I missing something or did I do something wrong?

I found the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 washer I needed to hook up sink. Is the sink not being hooked up to that drain/vent line that goes with the toilet even a culprit in this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 07:20 AM

Is the level of water in the bowl normal after a flush and then drops low after awhile? That little fill hoes must be inserted in the overflow tube. Before a flush how high is the water in the tank compared to the top of the overflow tube? It should be within an inch of the top.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2010, 07:28 AM

Located right behind the 4inch drain was a 2" vent/drain?
    Is this line a dry vent fro the toilet or is it draining something from upstairs?
    If it's a dry vent your hook up will work.
    My toilet level is low
    Try (a) first,
    Exactly where is the crack you mentioned in (d)?
    If it's below the water level then pull the toilet and set the bowl up off the ground.
    Fill the bowl with water. If you see any leakage replace the bowl.
    Good luck, Tom

Apr 28, 2010, 07:36 AM

I don't know if there is a crack, I am just looking at my options/answers from other questions posted here. And yes the line is a dry vent from the basement floor vertically through the roof.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2010, 07:40 AM

Ballengerb1

Is the level of water in the bowl normal after a flush and then drops low after awhile?
    Answer Bobs question to find out if you have a cracked bowl.
    Let us know, Tom

Apr 28, 2010, 08:27 AM

Would there be any water on the bathroom floor if it was leaking?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 28, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by statechamp171 View Post
    would there be any water on the bathroom floor if it was leaking?
    NO! It would go down the drain and not on the floor.

Apr 28, 2010, 11:14 AM

Where would the water leak from when I took it out to check it. Or rather where do I look?

Apr 28, 2010, 12:58 PM

If you do not see a crack at least go back and answer my questions. Many things other than a crack can cause your condition

Apr 28, 2010, 07:08 PM

Checked the following:

1. little hose is in overflow tube

2. water appears to not be higher when first filled. I checked the depth with a wooden stick, it was 4 and 3/4 of an inch from bottom of hole in the bowl and didn't change

3. the water fill line is within a 1/2 inch of the top of overflow tube

4. I did NOT connect my sink to the OPEN drain/vent line yet; wrong pieces (damn 1 1/4 tail piece and 1 1/2 P trap into the wall) (do the make a coupler for that?)

Back at it again tomorrow - glad this is an extra bath!
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 29, 2010, 07:05 AM

2. water appears to not be higher when first filled. I checked the depth with a wooden stick, it was 4 and 3/4 of an inch from bottom of hole in the bowl and didn't change
    I'm confused! If the water was higher when it first fillked how can you say it hadn't changed?
    Did the level drop after it first filled or didn't it? Did it drop down a bit and then just stay there. Please explain. Regards, Tom

Apr 29, 2010, 08:26 AM

Sorry if it sounds confusing. I let the bowl fill up completely. It measured 4 and 3/4" deep to bottom of hole in the bowl. I waited a few minutes and checked it again and the level did not change.

Apr 29, 2010, 09:00 AM

I am leaning toward your possible answer of B "b) the toilet is a low flush 1.6 gals, aquaflush and the level is going to be low (should be checked by height of S trap on the back of toilet vs water level, again not at home to check), I guess live with it!" Ig you never had a 1.6 gpf toilet it may just appear low to you. Some of mine do and some do not. Each manufacturer makes the sump area different.

Apr 29, 2010, 09:46 AM

I was afraid of that. It does flush fine, actually very good. It was rated 4/4 stars for flushing power and high effiecency for water consumption. Are you familiar with the Aquasource brand (Lowes brand)?

I do hear some water filling sound after the bowl is filled, maybe its just a little more going into the tank. Because the water level doesn't seem to change.

Apr 29, 2010, 10:00 AM

If you hear water running after the float has popped shut there could be some leakage around the flapper, check the rim with your thumb

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After I flush my toilet the water level in the toilet bowl itself is always very low. [ 2 Answers ]

After I flush my toilet the water level in the toilet bowl itself is always very low. How can I fix this issue. Thanks!

Cracked toilet bowl & low water level in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, So I've got two questions regarding two toilets and would appreciate any and all help as I can't afford someone to come in at this point to fix it for me. 1. I managed to drop a crystal (decoration) ball into the toilet which cracked the bowl so a chunk of the porcelain just fell...

Water level in toilet bowl is low [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new toilet, and the water level is very low in the bowl. What can I do?

Low water level in the Toilet Bowl [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet bowl in the Master bathroom has a very low water level. It has been getting lower and lower over time. The toilet bowl tank has the correct amount of water in it, so I am not sure as to why when I flush the water level in the actual bowl has been decreasing? Can anyone shed some light...

Low water level in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently installed a new toilet upstairs, and the water level in the basin is constantly too low. When the toilet is flushed, the water disappears very quickly, and then goes back slowly to its original level. The other toilet I've installed in the room next door works fine. Both soil pipes...

View more questions Search