Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pathfinder005 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 06:41 AM
    Cant stop thinking about someone who has died
    My mom died 13 years ago. For many years I had no problem with this. In the last 2-3 months I have thoughts of her everyday. I love her but it is distracting at times. What can I do?? Is this common??
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2010, 06:59 AM

Its not unusual to have periods you think of a deceased parent frequently. Even this many years after it happened. You always will. Trust me... I lost a parent not much time before you did.

But IF it becomes so often and intense it interferes with your normal life, perhaps its time to consider counceling. You are way past the intital greiving period.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 11:48 AM

It may not be about her memory as much as it is about something happening in your life right now. Did something happen that has caused you to think more about her?

From my own experience, having my first child, the birth of my daughter (second child), reaching the age she was when she died, and a couple of others were events that caused me to think more about my own mother, who died when I was very young.

I agree with Smoothy, if the thoughts/memories are causing problems in your life talking to a grief counselor, clergy, or someone you trust maybe something to consider.

Apr 29, 2010, 12:03 PM
    I don't think anything special has happened to bring this on. She has been deceased for 13 years now. From what I can remember I just started thinking about her one day and now it seems to be a daily thing. I just get like flashes of her and I think about her both living and at her funeral and her grave site sometimes. It has not gotten to the point were it effects my professional or personal life but it just don't seem natural to me? What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    It may not be about her memory as much as it is about something happening in your life right now. Did something happen that has caused you to think more about her?

From my own experience, having my first child, the birth of my daughter (second child), reaching the age she was when she died, and a couple of others were events that caused me to think more about my own mother, who died when I was very young.

I agree with Smoothy, if the thoughts/memories are causing problems in your life talking to a grief counselor, clergy, or someone you trust maybe something to consider.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 12:12 PM

How much and how long means everything. Me personally... it is only of them living... almost never at the funeral... and very rarely their gravesite. They are not that frequent... or that long. And they aren't to the point they depress me at all. Sort of often enough to keep the memory of them alive... but not dwell over the fact they are gone.

Apr 29, 2010, 12:36 PM
    They don't depress me either. Somedays are more then others. However, they seem to happen when my mind is not occupied if that makes sense at all. When I am busy or engaged doing something I don't think about her. They are not depressing at all I just get frustrated sometimes because I don't want to think about it so much. Maybe if I don't fight it it will go away or at least to the point as it is with your loved one. I don't ever want to forget, just to reflect when I want too. Funny thing is it makes me feel better just discussing this with people I don't even know. Am I crazy??
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    How much and how long means everything. Me personally...it is only of them living....almost never at the funeral...and very rarely their gravesite. They are not that frequent...or that long. And they aren't to the point they depress me at all. Sort of often enough to keep the memory of them alive....but not dwell over the fact they are gone.
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 12:59 PM

I don't know that you ever really would even want to completely forget if you were able. Maybe all it is, really is just reading more into it than there really is.
    Like you mentioned.. its only during periods you aren't doing anything, not when you are busy... they aren't consuming your thoughts or depressing you.

Any of those I would see as being a problem.

Apr 30, 2010, 03:48 AM
    I guess your right. Like when I spend time alone driving to work early in the morning or shaving before work. Basically, when I am not in engaged in something productive. I have noticed that my mind is always thinking about something. What I mean is I can never just clear my mind of everything. For example, if some asked me to simply clear your mind of all thoughts, I don't know that I could do that. Recently, I have felt a feeling of anxiety at times like my heart is racing somewhat. I think maybe from these thoughts of my deceased parent. What do you think?QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder005 View Post
    IRecently, I have felt a feeling of anxiety at times like my heart is racing somewhat.
    I wonder if your mind is bringing up thoughts of your mother to hide what is really causing you to feel anxiety.

How has your health been lately? Could your mind be using your mother as a substitute for your fears about yourself or someone close to you?
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder005 View Post
    I guess your right. Like when I spend time alone driving to work early in the morning or shaving before work. Basically, when I am not in engaged in something productive. I have noticed that my mind is always thinking about something. What I mean is I can never just clear my mind of everything. For example, if some asked me to simply clear your mind of all thoughts, I don't know that I could do that. Recently, I have felt a feeling of anxiety at times like my heart is racing somewhat. I think maybe from these thoughts of my deceased parent. What do you think?QUOTE=;]
    Well, see now THIS is something altogether different. What other stressors do you have in your life... worried about your job, money... etc.

As was mentioned... its possible this is being triggered by other factors. If you are having frequent anxiety attacks... THAT I would recommend talking to someone about. THere are prescription medications that can ease those for a time. True they can have some undesirable side effects. Everyone will feel a bit of panic under certain situations... but you should NOT be feelings these frequently... and most certainly without knowing exactly why.

Apr 30, 2010, 06:12 AM
    I am not sure. My health has been OK, except I have been dealing with a case of Kidney Stones. My wife was diagnosed with MS about a year ago. The weird thing is my relationship with my Mother was great and I have been at peace with that until recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    I wonder if your mind is bringing up thoughts of your mother to hide what is really causing you to feel anxiety.

How has your health been lately? Could your mind be using your mother as a substitute for your fears about yourself or someone close to you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop thinking about my ex [ 20 Answers ]

I'd been going out with my girl for 2months, then one day she just turned around and said that she ' couldn't be bothered'. This was about 2 weeks ago. I tried my hardest, and did nothing wrong to her. This was my first serious relationship. Ever since we split, all I can think about is her, and it...

Can't stop thinking about her! [ 22 Answers ]

I was with my ex for over four years. A month ago she decided to tell me she no longer loves me and it was over! We have 2 boys. She will only let me see them at the weekends. I've tried to moved on but I cant! Ive been txting her, emailing her ringing er and even set her a letter. All of this...

Why you should stop thinking about your ex! [ 3 Answers ]

Here is something from me to those trying to get over an ex. You find yourself wishing on a shooting star, but you need to know dreams alone won't get you that far. Ima share something with you, your dreams are riding on the wind and all you have to do is just reach out and pull them in. The...

I can't stop thinking about her [ 10 Answers ]

OK so here it is( I'm sorry its so long but I could really use some help on it) There's this girl named katie whom I've never seen in person but I've been talking to for about 3 months(phone,chatting) I think, she was my cousins best friend up until she had to mave about 2-3 minutes away, but they...

I can't stop thinking about her [ 7 Answers ]

A few days ago I was hanging out with a few friends... theres this one girl there that I sort of had feeings for at the time... we drank a little bit and one thing led to another and we ended up getting together... now I don't know if she likes me or wants to be with me or anything because I don't...

View more questions Search