Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 10:11 AM
    How to "freeze" a minor's credit/SSN to prevent identity theft
    How would a parent go about putting a block(or something similar) on their child's credit/Social Security number to prevent someone else from using the child's SSN to obtain credit cards, auto or home loans, etc?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 27, 2010, 12:19 PM

Do you know of someone who's trying to steal a child's identity? If so, then you can report them. I'm not sure you can do anything to prevent it. Hopefully one of the experts comes along and can help you more.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    do you know of someone who's trying to steal a child's identity? if so, then you can report them. i'm not sure you can do anything to prevent it. hopefully one of the experts comes along and can help you more.
    The non-custodial parent has suddenly been demanding copies of the kids' Social Security cards, claiming that they need the kids' numbers to file their taxes - but their tax return has already been submitted and returned to them.

The NCP is also involved with a number of illegal aliens. The concern is that the NCP, or one of the illegals, will inappropriately use one of the children's SSNs to obtain financing or other identification for themselves and create a boatload of issues for the child(ren).
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 27, 2010, 01:02 PM

I know there are credit protection services that track your credit and alert you to new activity. They cost money, and I have no idea how effective they are. It's worth researching, though.

Is there any way to report the NCP? Maybe report them to the social security office and tell them you suspect them of helping illegals obtain papers?
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i know there are credit protection services that track your credit and alert you to new activity. they cost money, and i have no idea how effective they are. it's worth researching, though.

is there any way to report the NCP? maybe report them to the social security office and tell them you suspect them of helping illegals obtain papers?
    Tried Equifax already; they say you need to be 18 to use their "blocking" service so that idea is out.

Spoke to a police officer who said it's kind of a tough call because technically, nothing has been done... yet. You can't report something that hasn't happened, but the CP also doesn't want to just wait for it to happen either. They're trying to be pro-active about it and stop it before it can happen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2010, 06:58 AM

Clark Howard: Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide on clarkhoward.com

You can freeze credit report agency online for all three major companies.

If you have an issue, the web site ClarkHoward.com Home: Save More, Spend Less and Avoid Rip-Offs on clarkhoward.com has a customer service line and /or email for personal help with credit issues.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Apr 29, 2010, 07:47 AM

Yes and I would go to the social security office and let them know what is going on with the kids social security numbers. They may have some ideas as well
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 08:32 AM

And of course keep a check on the credit report, if any false info shows up, turn it in for ID theft and also get it removed from credit reports by contesting it
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2010, 09:00 AM

Great ideas; thanks everyone!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Song title to lyrics "pose and freeze" [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a song I heard the other day... possibly a club song or just a rap with a club beat. Pretty sure the lyrics are pose and freeze, count to three. That's what I was hearing. The artist was a guy. If someone could help me out that would be great.

"tin" or "ssn" or "ittn" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came on "h-1b" to usa just couple of weeks ago. I need to know whether "ssn" can be applied for my wife. I heard that the tax which would be paying will be less when I claim that 'am living here with my family. For that to happen , what is that I need to do from my side. Do I need to apply...

Identity of an etching by Martin entitled "the Birch Trees" [ 1 Answers ]

I just received an etching from a friend. It says genuine etching by Martin entitled "The Birch Trees" It is number 1 and is from the Paris Etching Society and distributed by Turner. Can anyone tell me about this etch, the painter, and the paris etching society. Thank you

Sound Clips "Freeze" Computer [ 13 Answers ]

Often when I play a sound clip off the web, the computer completely freezes up. I can't be restarted or even shut down properly. I have to manually turn off the power and then it takes extra time to "scan" when I turn it back on again. This happens at different sites (like Amazon and Tower),...

View more questions Search