Ask
    sanibel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 05:44 AM
    1300 european history
    What luxuries did nobles enjoy?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 10, 2006, 10:42 PM
    There were three estates or social divisions during that time, the first estate--the nobility, the second estate--the peasantry-and the third estate--the clergy. In short, the fighters, the workers and the prayers. Of these the worst off were the peasants who were little more than slaves-owned no land, and were generally at the mercy of the other two estates.
    The nobility had a good thing going for itself. Of course they did have to fight when the occasion required it.

Here is an excerpt on the nobility which partially answers your question about the benefits of being part of that estate.

Excerpt:

As the second Estate, the medieval nobility had special legal status. A man who was a member of the nobility was free in his person and in his possessions. His only limitation concerned his military obligation to his lord. As a member of the nobility, he had certain rights and responsibilities: he could raise troops and command them in the field, he held his own courts of justice, he could coined his own money. He was the lord of all those people who settled on his land.

Steven Kreis

http://www.historyguide.org/ancient/lecture23b.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

HP laserjet 1300 leaves marks on top left corner [ 2 Answers ]

HP laserjet 1300 The printer prints with a scratch on top left of every page. No problem with contents but leaves some stretch marks (as if it were jammed on that section only) every time. Any suggestion?

View more questions Search