Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Apr 30, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Samemmack View Post
    What are signs of a codependent relationship?
    Well exact lists of codependent behaviour vary somewhat according to the context it is being used in. Some psychologists believe almost all relationships include an element of codependency, it rather depends on the school of thought.

However the aspects I am thinking of are:
    An unhealthy emotional dependence, where your partner is responsible for your happiness rather than yourself. Compromising your own values to avoid another person's anger or rejection. Repeating patterns that cause you pain. Trying to control your partner's behaviour. Complying with your partner's wishes when you don't want to. Loss of boundaries.

I'm thinking about how you say he gets upset when you want to visit friends or do something with your son without him. Your statement that his lack of trust fuels yours.

I'm not suggesting that your relationship has every red-flag of a full-blown codependent situation but that there are some aspects that could do with nipping in the bud and getting on top of. Your trust issues and your difficulties in honest communication are obviously making you unhappy.

Edited for spellilngs - sorry was typsy in charge of a keyboard after a family night out when I first typed this.
    Samemmack Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by QLP View Post
    Well exact lists of codepend behaviour vary somewhat according to the context it is being used in. Some psychologists beleive almost all relationships include an element of codependency, it rather depends on the school of thought.

However the aspects I am thinking of are:
    An unhealthy emotional dependence, where your partner is responsible for your happiness rather than yourself. Compromising you own values to avoid another person's anger or rejection. Repeating patterns that cause you pain. Trying to control your partner's behaviour. Complying with your parner's wishes when you don't want to. Loss of boundaries.

I'm thinking about how you say he gets upset when you want to visit friends or do something with your son without him. Your statement that his lack of trust fuels yours.

I'm not suggesting that your relationship has every red-flag of a full-blown codependent situation but that there are some aspects that could do with nipping in the bud and getting on top of. Your trust issues and your difficulties in honest communication are obviously making you unhappy.
    We do have a codependent relationship it looks like. That stinks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Won't let me breakup and denies his jealousy [ 14 Answers ]

My boyfriend of nearly 3 years took a strong interest in a new beautiful girl we met at our night out. He was drunk and with her talking and neglected me all night. After we had a fight and I confessed I was jealous because his behavior was inappropriate. He reacted surprised asking did he talked...

Want paternity test done, mother denies me? [ 10 Answers ]

I had sex with a married women and she was found to be pregnant just weeks after our encounter. Her and her husband state that the doctors estimate the date of conception to be 6 - 10 days after we had sex. What rights do I have to demand a paternity test?

Ex calls and denies weekend [ 4 Answers ]

Because of my national guard drills once a month my ex and I have to be flexible when it comes to getting my daughter twice a month, well I was supposed to get her dropped off to me on a wed during spring break and have her until Saturday when I was to drop her off. Well my ex called 2 hours before...

Landlord denies to renew lease. [ 26 Answers ]

Hi this is Ashes from Pennsylvania, recently me and my fiancé received a letter in the mail telling us that our landlord is exercising their right not to renew our lease and must vacate by the end of April. We've done nothing wrong, meanwhile our landlord has formed a double standard lease telling...

Employer denies obligation to pay OT [ 4 Answers ]

I am a non salaried hourly employee in a customer service position. From advice of the Colorado Dept of Labor, I would qualify for overtime. According to the CDL description any time worked by a qualified individual during a work week. Work Week being Sunday to Saturday. In excess of 40 hour is...

View more questions Search