Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 14, 2010, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larken85 View Post
    And lastly, does the ear taping process hurt the dog in any way. If so I may drop the min pin interest. A. I do not want to hurt the dog, B. I do not want a Min Pin if it does not look like a Doberman Pinscher with the ears.

I seen a picture online of the ear taping process and it looks kind of painful to the dog.
    Taping the ears is more irritating than painful. However, if you want the 'Dobie' ear that involves surgery. They cut off part of the ear. Then it gets taped up (as I explained earlier). When they are healing it can be painful, though Chloe didn't seem to notice until she tried running under a dining room chair and hit her ears (the rungs are four inches off the ground and she had already grown to big to do what she was trying to do).

By the way, you can call them Dobies instead of typing out the full name.

I know you are into hiking and outdoor activities. Have you looked at breeds that would enjoy going with you? There are several breeds that flop in the house but are worse than the energizer bunny when on walks, etc.
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

May 14, 2010, 05:23 AM

Hmm, I definitely need to think about it some more. I haven't decided 100% on a breed yet. I wish the choices were easier. For one, I love Labs, they are smart and just all around great dogs, but boxers seem to hold a very loving quality mixed with playful. Its just kind of hard. But to be sure I need an easy groomer because my labs hair is almost too much for me to handle, don't know how I'd deal with a longer haired dog lol
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 05:29 AM

A new pet should suit the accommodation. Husky, or quite probably husky mix are not satisfied with just a walk a day. They need constant exercise as they are classed as a working dog. There are different categories and I think you should take this into consideration when looking for a new pet.

I just adopted a lovely four year old beagle X (yes shaz, alty and I were right on that one), but I knew her a year ago so had her all figured out when she came available to me. It wasn't a random thing is what I am getting at. She is 47 lbs. medium size and she suits my accommodation and activity level. I always make sure I can fulfill the needs of a pet, that way, no surprises.

So go on Google, 'choosing a dog' and do a little reading. It may enlighten you as you do seem to be a little flaky in what type of dog you want.

As for spaying and neutering, well, it's a no brainer, it corrects some issues in pets, like the constant humping you get from a male dog not neutered. As for the spaying a female, when they come in season a cloth diaper has to be provided so no furniture gets ruined and you don't have male dogs clammering at your door.

Just my opinion.

tick

May 14, 2010, 05:35 AM

Lol I know. I have been doing a lot of reading. For instance Min Pin's are supposed to be walked a long walk once a day. But So far they are the only breed I have really looked into just yet. I have plenty of time to choose though.

Indecisive is a better word than flaky, flaky could be taken offensively. Just wanted to save you some grief.

Thanks again all. Keep it coming.
    Marriage Expert

May 14, 2010, 05:40 AM
    But to be sure i need an easy groomer because my labs hair is almost too much for me to handle, don't know how i'd deal with a longer haired dog lol
    No Husky for you then. :D

Seriously, why don't you start a thread in Dogs explaining what you are looking for in a companion, the living conditions (or what they will be including other animals and people will be involved), any restrictions in your areas (Breed Specific laws, etc.), your lifestyle (how much your job will affect working with the animal, etc.), and other such information and ask for input. The pros and cons of different breeds. Mention the ones you have been interested in and go from there.

Dog shows are another great place to learn more about different breeds and show people love talking about their breeds-pros and cons. It is also a great place to learn why breeding is a serious undertaking and why breeding just to get a puppy isn't a good idea.

Once you get some ideas, you might look into rescues in your area for the breeds. Also, look for breeders that you can ask to meet their animals to see if the breed is a good one for you.

May 14, 2010, 06:04 AM

Thanks cat, you rock. I will start a thread like that. Good suggestion.

I just think I have started far too many threads sometimes lol.
    Marriage Expert

May 14, 2010, 06:09 AM
    As long as they are on totally different subjects, no problem. Relationships with animals and people are totally different. :)

May 14, 2010, 06:36 AM

Thanks cat. I quoted the topic suggestion on your last post in my new thread. Hope you don't mind. Just thought it would be good for them to know where I was coming from.
    Marriage Expert

May 14, 2010, 06:55 AM
    thanks cat. I quoted the topic suggestion on your last post in my new thread. Hope you don't mind. Just thought it would be good for them to know where I was coming from.
    No problem, Larken. I see you are already getting good advice. Pay attention and keep in mind that those who respond love animals and want to make certain that both you and the dog are happy, healthy and have a long time together. So, keep an open mind and think before responding if you feel like you are getting upset or frustrated with the advice. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 10:54 AM
    thanks cat, you rock. I will start a thread like that. Good suggestion.

We are starved for attention in the dog section, the more questions the better :D
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
    lol I know. I have been doing a lot of reading. For instance Min Pin's are supposed to be walked a long walk once a day. But So far they are the only breed I have really looked into just yet. I have plenty of time to choose though.

indecisive is a better word than flaky, flaky could be taken offensively. Just wanted to save ya some greif.

Thanks again all. Keep it coming.
    All depends on the personality of the person, whether they take flaky to heart or not, Larken. You don't have to worry about saving me some grief. I come from the school of hard knocks, my friend.

Tick

May 14, 2010, 03:45 PM

All right, I was just looking out for you ;) I am super flaky at times though lol :D as if you haven't noticed lol
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 14, 2010, 03:57 PM

If they are the same breed, and have champion blood, they can breed right?
    I don't know if anyone addressed this, so I will.

No, just because they have champion blood and are the same breed doesn't mean it's okay to breed them.

In order to be a responsible breeder you have to do genetic testing to make sure that not defects are passed down to the pups.

When you get a dog from a legitimate breeder most times it will cost you anywhere from $2000 up. The fact is, most times, even with that price, the breeder isn't making any money on the pups. The amount of money that goes into raising quality puppies is far more then what they sell for.

Breeders do it for the love of the breed and to further the breed, make it better. So if you're thinking about breeding, you need to consider the money, time and education you'll need to do it responsibly. There's more to it then putting two dogs together and then selling the puppies. :)
    Expert

May 14, 2010, 04:35 PM
    alright, I was just lookin out for ya ;) I am super flaky at times though lol :D as if you haven't noticed lol
    ****high five**** I tend to be flaky too, but that's my charm and I know it doesn't go over well with some people, but it's a matter of individuality I think, used to called 'happy go lucky' .

Individual tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 14, 2010, 06:51 PM

What has been posted is NOT "flaky" - it's irresponsible, hurtful and stupid.

Super flaky or super homophobic.

This should not be acceptable to anyone and, Tickle, I am guessing you didn't see it (or maybe it was posted before this response). At any rate, I truly am shocked!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/m...-470719-2.html
    Expert

May 15, 2010, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What has been posted is NOT "flaky" - it's irresponsible, hurtful and stupid.

Super flaky or super homophobic.

This should not be acceptable to anyone and, Tickle, I am guessing you didn't see it (or maybe it was posted before this response). At any rate, I truly am shocked!

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/m...-470719-2.html
    I think you misunderstood who or what I was calling 'flaky', all information in this thread is excellent from people who really know their stuff about the dog world. I was calling Larken 'flaky', to which he didn't take offence as you could see from our dialogue after that post.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I think you misunderstood who or what I was calling 'flaky', all information in this thread is excellent from people who really know their stuff about the dog world. I was calling Larken 'flaky', to which he didnt take offence as you could see from our dialogue after that post.

tick

You're right - I thought you were responding to Larken thinking of himself as flaky when, in fact, I think he's in a category well beyond flaky.

Thanks for the explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Darn Husky's [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Husky 1750 pressure washer and the wand trigger stay's in the on position after I depress it and it won't release the trigger when I let the trigger go it stays on until I shut the darn off switch, can I fix this problem myself, I am handy, is it a release spring or what? :)

Why am I so darn insecure? [ 5 Answers ]

I seem to be constantly second guessing any decision I make, I feel guilty about almost everything all the time, I don't believe in myself even though I'm not a bad person, and have some really good qualities, but have a really difficult time seeing the positive. I don't have many friends because...

That Darn Cat [ 8 Answers ]

A man absolutely hated his wife's cat and decided to get rid of him one day By driving him 20 blocks from his home and leaving him at the park. As he was getting home, the cat was walking up the driveway. The next day he decided to drive the cat 40 blocks away. He put the beast Out...

View more questions Search