Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 09:28 PM
    How Can You Tell If a Person Is Lying?
    Hi, All!

Well, all of us have had people who've lied to us. But, how do you tell if a person is lying?

It could be your spouse, one of your children, a co-worker, an employee, your boss, a group of people, etc.

Maybe it's their body language or the direction in which their eyes look when saying something to you. Maybe it's something else? Perhaps the way that person or a group of people might have done things?

Some people are really good at hiding the fact that they're lying. It's almost as if they're an expert in the way that they do it!

However, ''Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive''? ~ Sir Walter Scott

Perhaps there might an instance or more where you caught someone or people lying that you might be willing to share?

What do you think, please?

Thanks!
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:44 AM

I'd go by the bodylanguage-touching their face,shifting their shoulder slightly upwards,tapping feet,-as for the language used,watch out for exlamations such as-honestly,truthfully,I swear etc.

Did you watch Lie to Me?Tim Roth.

Loved it.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 04:39 AM
    Instinct.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 04:51 AM

I would say it is a combination of things for me.

Instinct yes, your gut instinct that many people do not listen to. I do my best to keep my instincts sharp. Body language is a major way of telling if someone is lying and also speech. The way the person talks as well.

Joe
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 04:57 AM
    Experience and being a people person.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 11:11 PM

I agree with the others , I generally think if they can't look you in the eyes it's a dead giveaway.

Also if their nose starts growng ;)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 2, 2010, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    I agree with the others , i generally think if they can't look you in the eyes it's a dead giveaway.
    My husband and son are both autistic and don't make eye contact easily. I can't use "can't look you in the eyes" as a criterion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you a cat person or a dog person? [ 91 Answers ]

I just was interested in how many people on here had pets. If you do, what species? Did you get them at a breeder or a shelter? What breeds? What do they look like? Do you have pics?:D

Lying on Federal complaint answer, lying to EEOC [ 1 Answers ]

My question involves court procedures for the state of: Indiana/federal I am suing a govt. agency. They lied profusely in EEOC investigation. I couldn't prove it then. Got copy of investigation record and then KNEW I could prove a few lies, trust me on that. I filed the complaint in fed. Court...

Other law--Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If I [ 1 Answers ]

Any time a person asks this of another person, it must be respected. If it is not, legal action can be taken against the person who is contacting someone who doesn't want to be contacted. I that true?? Panda1969

View more questions Search