Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Terri508 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 06:55 AM
    HSBC small claims law suit.
    I am being sued by HSBC in small claims for $1,294.00. I have been making payments with the law office (debt collectors) for several months. I was unable to make the payment in April due to being hospitalized. When I realized that I could not make that payment I called and spoke with the man handling my case, told him what had happened and he was fine with my picking back up with the payments in May. Then I got the summons with the court date. I don't deny that I owe this money and was trying to work with them to pay it back. What should I do? I can make monthly payments but I can't afford to pay the entire amount at once. What should I take to court with me? The law office has never sent me anything in writing about the arrangements set up.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 07:06 AM

It would appear that you were unable to honor your original agreement to pay. You then made arrangements to pay with an Attorney or debt collector. You weren't able to honor that agreement.

The creditor is now seeking a Judgment against you. You might be able to arrange a new payment schedule but I would expect the creditor to get the Judgment and enforce it if you do not keep up with the "new" payment schedule.

I see no defense to the debt.

I don't think the lack of a written payment arrangement is at play here - obviously between the phone call saying you couldn't pay and receipt of the payment the creditor changed its mind.

The creditor may also be concerned about the Statute running and so they want this over with - now.

Apr 26, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    It would appear that you were unable to honor your original agreement to pay. You then made arrangements to pay with an Attorney or debt collector. You weren't able to honor that agreement.

The creditor is now seeking a Judgment against you. You might be able to arrange a new payment schedule but I would expect the creditor to get the Judgment and enforce it if you do not keep up with the "new" payment schedule.

I see no defense to the debt.

I don't think the lack of a written payment arrangement is at play here - obviously between the phone call saying you couldn't pay and receipt of the payment the creditor changed its mind.

The creditor may also be concerned about the Statute running and so they want this over with - now.
    Would my best bet be to try to arrange a new payment schedule with the law firm? As I said I am not denying that it is my debt, I do want to pay in full as soon as possible.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 10:14 AM

My gut reaction is that you didn't meet the terms of the original agreement or the second agreement and they are not willing to give you a third chance. Of course, you don't know until/unless you call them.

If it's already in suit they aren't going to back down or go away - I'd call, attempt to make a new payment schedule and (as I said above) expect the Judgment to be taken but not enforced as long as you meet your agreement.

Apr 27, 2010, 04:25 AM
    My gut reaction is that you didn't meet the terms of the original agreement or the second agreement and they are not willing to give you a third chance. Of course, you don't know until/unless you call them.

If it's already in suit they aren't going to back down or go away - I'd call, attempt to make a new payment schedule and (as I said above) expect the Judgment to be taken but not enforced as long as you meet your agreement.
    I appreciate your help JudyKayTee. I don't expect them to just go away, I know I owe this and will pay. Normally when a judgement is made do you know if you have to pay it immediately and in full or will they allow a payment schedule to be made.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 07:43 AM

You should take proof that you were in the hospital, you should take any proof of a previous payment plan. The judge while he may give the judgement may also allow a payment plan if you show good faith in doing it before..

Next the judgement does not mean you pay at one time it merely means depending on where you live, they can garnish up to 25 percent of your pay check, take any money you have in the bank.
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 09:03 AM

FrChuck is right but please read #4 above - I would expect the Judgment to be taken but not enforced as long as you make the payments as scheduled.

In my area the Judge has no say in accepting or not accepting a payment plan. It is at the discretion of the creditor.

Apr 27, 2010, 11:29 AM
    FrChuck is right but please read #4 above - I would expect the Judgment to be taken but not enforced as long as you make the payments as scheduled.

In my area the Judge has no say in accepting or not accepting a payment plan. It is at the discretion of the creditor.
    Do you know of any reference in which I can check the laws of WI?
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:48 PM

You would have to search Wisconsin debtor/creditor law - what is your specific question? Here is more info from the State's website (I cannot cut and paste sites at the present time):

A Judgment issued by a Court in the State of Wisconsin generally is enforceable for a period of twenty (20) years (Sec 893.40). Upon entry in the court's judgment docket, a judgment may become a lien on the real estate of a judgment debtor in the county where the judgment is entered, except homestead property that is exempt from execution under Sec. 815.20, for a period of ten (10) years from the date of entry. (Sec. 806.15.)

Confession of judgment is specifically proscribed under Sec. 806.25 of the Wisconsin Statutes.

A judgment creditor may execute the judgment against the non-exempt real and personal property of the judgment debtor, against the debtor's person, or against delivery of property. (Sec.815.03.) Wage garnishment is permitted, however, the amount of earnings which may be garnished generally may not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the debtor's net income for each one week pay period. (Sec. 815.18(3)(h).)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have a small claim law suit? [ 1 Answers ]

I brought a 2003 chevy impala six months ago for 4600 dollars with no warranty. About three weeks later I started having engine problems. Now I'm at the point were I have to buy a new motor. What should I do? Do I have a small claims law suit?

Texas small claims suit on left over balance from repoed vehicle [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Texas. I purchased a vehicle. When I signed the paperwork I was told by the dealership that they would mail me out a copy of my paperwork as soon as the maganger signed off on it. I went to the dealership once a week on pay day to ask for my copy of the paperwork and always...

Law, Small Claims [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Im A 16 year old mature female and have a boyfriend who is 23 we are very happy together but it worrys me to think ''Is this legal'' I searched and law states:confused: *Over 16s Can Date Anyone under the age of 25*:) Is this true or false:o I Need to know:confused:

Small claims suit against employer? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm out of work on legitimate disability and will probably lose my job either before I come back or they'll think of some reason to fire me shortly after I return. (I've seen them do this to a handful of people). I'm filing a claim with AFLAC, which is offered through my employer and I pay premiums...

Small Claims Suit Against Prior Landlord [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning, I filed a small claims suit on yesterday against my prior landlord for violation of Chapter 92of the Texas Property Code. He did not refund my security deposit or send me an itemized statement of damages within 30 days. When I got home and check my mail I had a check in there from...

View more questions Search