Ask
    mirza waqar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 04:14 AM
    Is hops haram in ISLAM?
    Is hops haram in ISLAM?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 05:43 AM

Alcohol is (which I'm sure you know), but hops itself is not... depending on how the hops is used.
    How would you be using the hops?
    Are you speaking about beer? If so, then yes, it is.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:14 AM

Thanks Rick.

Mirza,
    As Rick mentioned Hops in itself does not seem to have a bad effect,but using it to make beer etc will be haram.

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2010, 11:48 AM

Rick,
    Could you confirm if hops is intoxicating by itself as it is mentioned that it helps insomnia/restlessness?
    If it is then it might be a problem using it.

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 12:02 PM

Hops is not intoxicating by itself. There are some [rare/obscure instances of] medicinal uses for the plant, including as a sedative, but not "intoxicating" as most people would use that term... but in this day and age the only real use of it is in the making of beer.

Unless Mirza posts again to confirm what he wants to use hops for, we can be fairly confident that the question is more about beer than it is about the plant itself.

More info from herbco.com:

Background: The most common use for hops, as you probably already know, is the production of beer. However, its uses go far beyond the making of alcoholic beverages.

Because of the bitter principles it contains, hops can be used as a strong digestive aid. It also has properties that make it good for relieving tension and as a sleep aid.

Applications: Antispasmodic/Soporific/Sedative

Hops [can be] used to reduce tension and aid in sleep.

As a sleep aid, hops can be used in a sachet inside of a pillow. The aromatic properties of the herb will help one to fall asleep.

Hops can be taken to help relax the muscles and soothe anxiety.

Hops can help to relax spasms of the digestive system and aid in digestion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

There is a page on on islam watch (Incest is Halal in Islam) please answer it because [ 9 Answers ]

I saw this page while I was searching Google It is causing bad for islam and our prophet MUHAMMAD peace be upon hin

How long does hops stay in the urine [ 1 Answers ]

How long does hops stay in the urine for? If my urine was sent to lab what is the code they use when testingfor hops and if my urine was sent in on a thurs and I had a sip on wed will it show up ? And by a sip I mean less than 24 oz of beer only? Answer my question

Music in Islam haram.but where is this stated? [ 9 Answers ]

Salaam (or hello, just assuming(which is wrong I know(",) that only muslims will read this)) I need urgent help with this subject, so everyone knows that listening to music is haram (not nasheeds and other religious singing(which I know is debatable)) I was hoping someone would know of which...

Is MLM haram [ 6 Answers ]

Assalamu alaikkum, Is MLM haram? I believe this is very generic Question. I want the answer to be specific to this concept not specific to any practices conducted in this businesses because even halal business can be conducted in haram way. So please tell me concept of MLM is haram or...

Is dating haram in islam [ 1 Answers ]

Is dating haram in Islam?

View more questions Search