Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orsondog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 12:20 AM
    Older dog interested in drinking, but won't
    Hi.. I have an older dog that was acting very lethargic. I thought he was drinking but was not eating... after closer examination and study, it turns out he will eat wet dog food of certain flavors, and won't drink water. He looks very interested, visiting the water bowls I have set out contantly, but each time, he appears to sample once, or twice, or up to four times and then pulls away like the water is too warm or cold or not what he expected. Vet visited the house (first time I have used a house-call vet) but at that time, I thought the dog was drinking, and just not eating and acting his usual self. A few hours later, I called to say I had it wrong. Those trips to the water bowl were not resulting in any consumption. He will take soaked-in-water french bread, wet dog food of some types, sliced chicken and he will eat ice shavings. This how he is getting by now... he appears to be able to swallow, as he likes the ice, likes the wet food and the soaked french bread. I realize bread isn't the best for dogs, but he gets a good 8 ounces three times a day with that method. If he can swallow fine, what is it? I swear he has a problem with the front of his mouth but I can't imagine what it would be. I asked the vet about a stroke perhaps, but she said there is not test for that, and I would notice something on one side of the dog or the other that might indicate a problem.

Why would a dog that likes to eat wet food and ice not drink, even when he seems very very interested in drinking... up to the time he samples it a few times and pulls back? Almost like he is nauseated. But he is not lethargic now, and he still does not seem like he can drink.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 12:30 AM

Obviously my first suggestion would be to get him to a vet to make sure there is nothing medical going on but it seems you have done that.

Next suggestion is to try running water.
    Some dogs just don't seem to like drinking from still water out of a bowl.
    You can buy special water bowls which have a sort of fountain coming out the top of them and the water constantly trickles down the sides... most dogs love them.

Here is a photo of one... the water comes out the top and trickles down the blue sides:

Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:13 AM

If Shaz's idea doesn't work there are always drops you can get from your vet that add a little flavor (chicken, beef or mint) I know they don't like to sue it, because it is harder to get them to drink plain water after that.

If you are feeding water soaked bread, and wet food, they are getting water. If you feel that he is not drinking enough, try a little pdealyte. You can get the pedialyte freezies, seeing as he likes to eat ice.

You can also put a DROP of milk in the water to make it change color, it kind of tricks your dog into thinking he is getting a new treat. Do not feed him plain milk. Just use a drop to change the color of the water.

Apr 26, 2010, 06:24 AM

Thank you to both of you. So far, the add milk trick has not worked, nor the flavoring... it is almost as if the texture is something not enticing.. this is a 16.5 year old Aussie that has never done this before. I really appreciate the suggestions though... I am going to try running water, but I have the feeling it will not work as well.

THANK YOU!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:26 AM

Well, In my opinion, at 16, bread and water may not be the healthiest, but at least he is getting water.

Try the pedialyte, or keep up with the ice cubes.

Good luck! :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Something to check on, has your water company recently changed the way they process the water. About a year ago, mine went from using one method to another and it definitely changed the taste/'feel' of the water.

You may want to check the water quality coming out of the pipes. He may be picking up on something that with our limited senses wouldn't detect.

Good luck. :)

Apr 26, 2010, 08:03 AM

Thank you, all, again.

As far as thinking this through, I had not thought about water quality, but it is a possibility. However, he like the ice made from the same water, but the novelty of the cold may be overpowering something he doesn't like.. will check.. never know if something is backflowing into the system. Hadn't thought of that one... and yes on the old dog and bread. I asked the vet about it too and she said better that he gets the water, but it could be a concern at some point.

Thank You again everyone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with a dog that won't eat and is drinking a lot of water and losing a lot [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is not eating and is losing a lot of weight and drinking a lot of water. What could be wrong with him

Dog not drinking [ 4 Answers ]

I have a border collie - he is almost 2 years old. He will not drink water. Had to bring him to the vet they said he was dehydrated. Any insight on this

My old aged dog won't stop drinking [ 6 Answers ]

My dog who is 16 years old just won't stop drinking water. We will fill his bowl up and he will drink it until its all gone. He will even get that desperate to have a drink that he will go try and drink out of the toilet which he has not done since he was a puppy

Why is my husband so interested in an older widow in our neighborhood? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is very interested in the widowed neighbor.He always jumps when she calls,and she does often.The neighbor always has a question or something for him to do.My husband is 73 and she is 80,should I worry?I don't know what hold she has over him.I am never included and don't like her,but he...

View more questions Search