Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irismagnolia Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 07:46 PM
    How I should craft my pro se defense against credit card lawsuit
    In February, I was served by a Sheriff's Deputy who presented me with a document from the Magistrate Court of Cobb County GA that said that Midland Funding LLC, Assignee of Citibank, N.A. that stated that they intended to sue me for $3,165.97 plus $74.50 court costs as of that date and all future costs of the suit. The attorney listed was Dennis Henry of Frederick J. Hanna and Associates, a so-called law firm/junk debt collector that has been discussed on many discussion boards in terms of their questionable collection practices.

Because they didn't provide any information in terms of account information (I've had several accounts with Citibank in the past and I know my husband is paying on one that was in my name with Home Depot that he used was issued through Citibank), when the account was opened, etc. I filed my formal answer denying the debt and stating that the plaintiff had refused to verify alleged debt and was in violation of the FDCPA. I also submitted a request for production of documents and a request for admissions and had these documents notified and sent certified return receipt to both the Attorney's Office and the Magistrate Court within the 30 day response window.

The attorney's office responded back with a letter asking for the opportunity to discuss the case in further detail and explore payment arrangements and sent another letter on the same day saying that pursuant to Uniform Magistrate Rule 40 discovery requests are not only disfavored by the courts but are also considered a nullity when filed without leave of court.

I received notification from the court that my court date is on May 3. My question is how should I craft my defense? I've been unemployed since September 2008 due to a layoff and admittedly, most of my credit cards have taken a backseat to being able to keep a roof on my family's head and food on the table through my husband's income. Should I make a Motion for Dismissal due to the law firm's failure to answer my requests for production of documents and admissions? What if they bring the requested documentation to court instead? If after going to court, the judge decides in Midland's favor, should I wait to file bankruptcy then or should I do this before I go to court? Should I leave my checkbook at home in case they try to garnish my wages (which is unemployment)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 07:59 PM

Not sure what leaving your check book at home, since they will ask you for social security number and name of your bank,

First they are required to provide you with proof of debt, that is a federal law, so if they refuse to do so, you should have the case dismissed merely by their refusal to do so. You maintain at the start of court, that you dispute this is your debt and make them prove it is in court ( normally they can't)

They were required to furnish this within a time frame of your request, so you still ask for a dismissal since they did not give you the info within proper time frame

You may want to start not keeping your money in the bank,
    rolandstein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
    Go to ezzani.com. I bought the book "how i beat capital one and legal recovery law offices" and used the motions, answer, and other strategies and they (3 credit card lawyers) quit early. It is only 15 bucks. He has about 12 affirmative defenses... that's just the start
    Tami Mann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2012, 06:05 AM
    My case is identical to this. Can you please provide information as to the outcome of this case?
    andjustice4all Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 08:10 AM
    I'm in court w/Midland too. I went to Gwinnet County courthouse and got a copy of the case Midland Funding v. Jill Sheridan. She won her case & I'm following her strategies. Copies of the case at the magistrate courthouse will run around $25-30. Some of her actual court docs are also online on her website and others through a keyword search:
    http://www.scribd.com/collections/3042742/Frederick-J-Hanna-and-Associates-Midland-Funding-v-Sheridan-Gwinnett-Georgia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SOL defense pro se against an atty for old credit debt [ 4 Answers ]

I recently went to court and into an arbitration meeting, pro se and using the SOL defense for a bill 0ver $13,000. The atty for the other side could not give a exact date of when I would have tried to pay this account within the 6 years (NYstate) time perios, and honestly, I have no idea what this...

Lawsuit on me from credit card [ 2 Answers ]

I have a law suit filed just against me not my husband from a credit card. What are the laws in Florida if they file a judgement on me and will it only affect me or can it also affect my husband too if it is only on me.:confused:

Credit card lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

I am being said by citibank for a dafulted loan. I have tried and tried to work with these people, even refinanced m home last year and got them to offer me a payoff, which they did, but only left it open for three days. By the time I received the verificaion letter, the time was up. These...

Is there a defense against a credit card company request for judgement? [ 3 Answers ]

When my ex wife and I divorced, she assumed the obligation for repayment of a credit card debt. Unfortunately, the account was in my name and she was an authorized user. Not only did she not pay the debt, she ran up the account balance to the maximum without my knowledge or consent. I did not...

What is a good defense for a credit card lawsuit? [ 9 Answers ]

I was just served by a major Credit Card in which they are seeking a judgement. I have been disabled and have had a problem keeping stable employment due to my health conditions. My family is on food stamps and medicaid. Is that a good enough argument with proof? If they proceed with a...

View more questions Search