Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdelossantos1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
    Power Converter for Welder
    I do not have any 220 Outlets in my house. Got a welder with a 115v or 230v input. I'm set up for 110 outlets but would like to switch to the 230 input. Considering purchasing on of those transformers that plugs into a 110 and converts to 220. Got a 42 Amp draw on the welder and a max 5000W on the Converter. Is this a good Idea?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 04:14 AM
    Not unless you have a 50 amp 110 outlet, which you don't. If you have to have a special outlet wired in, make it a common readily available 30 amp 240 with #10 wire.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 05:06 AM
    What voltage will the 42 amps be at? The 5 KW transformer, can only supply 20 amps at 240 volts, and the 120 volt input will draw 41 amps.

At labman states, since you only have 120 volt outlets in the house, the transformer does not have a circuit or outlet to use.

Will be cheaper to not purchase the transformer and install the special outlet and circuit for it, just install a 240 volt outlet rated for the welder amp draw and be done with it.

Will be safer also.

Before doing this, need to be sure you have 240 volts available at you panel or service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a free PDF converter... [ 6 Answers ]

Does any one know of a free PDF to WORD or HTML converter... Preferably free? Thanks...

Welder Purchase [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a welder. What is the difference between and arc welder and gas or gasless welder. How are they rated? Some are capable of welding either 1/8" or 1/4". Is this based on amperage? 220v is better than 110v? Thanks, Glenn

Salary of underwater welder [ 14 Answers ]

how much does this profession earn in a year? salary and hourly rate? :confused:

Propane gas converter [ 1 Answers ]

We have a propane furnace that was installed without the converter put on... what kind of damage has been done to unit and what kind of gas have we been smelling, this has been going in for @ 1 month. It was fixed as of yesterday.

DVD Converter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in search of free software to convert DVD to mpeg, that or other video formats. Can anybody please tell me where the software will be available? -Kishore

View more questions Search