Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happylady123 Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Apr 25, 2010, 05:20 PM
    Questions about ticks on dogs
    Hello,
    We adopted a 2nd dog about 4 hrs ago and we noticed a tick in his ear. Our other dog has never had a tick so we are not 100% sure what to do. We looked up some info online. We are going to take him to the vet tomorrow when they open but we are not sure how to handle it now. We don't want to take it out wrong and hurt the dog, and we are not even sure how long it has been there. If we leave it in can it crawl onto one of us during the night (dogs sleep in bed with us)? Can it get onto my other dog? Any help on this matter would be appreciated, thanks!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 05:41 PM

Well what you can try is putting some rubbing alcohol on a q tip and putting it on the ticks butt end.Or pouring a cap full of the rubbing alcohol over top of the tick. Make sure to flush the tick or burn it. You can also try heating up a pin and placing that on the ticks butt as well. You have to make sure the dog will stay very still, you don't want to end up burning your dog. If you pull it out you should be extra cautious that the ticks head comes off as well. Sometimes the ticks head will stay in, and they can re generate a new body.

Ticks carry the lyme disease, which can never be cured, and is almost always mis diagnosed. You need to be careful of things like this. I know you can get tick repellent from your local vet.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 05:42 PM

Oh and yes they can go from one animal to another to you, but unlikely seeing as it is already feeding off the one dog. What color is the tick now? Can you take a pic of it?

Apr 25, 2010, 05:55 PM

The tick is small and brown.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 05:56 PM

Ok so chances are it hasn't been there too long. They tend to get larger and go a grayish whitish color when they have been int here for a while. You should be able to remove with a warm needle or the alcohol.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:21 PM

Another method is to put a drop of collodion on the body of the tick. Collodion is available everywhere under the brand name Compound W wart remover, as well as other brands

When the collodion dries (1/2 hour) the tick will have to release from the dog to be able to breathe. Then, like Aurora Bell said, be sure to flush it.

Apr 25, 2010, 06:22 PM

Here's a picture of the tick in his ear.
    Attached Images

Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:24 PM

Looks like he just got in there. Also, you can save the tick in a container and your vet or local hospital can test it for Lyme disease.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Looks like a North American Dog Tick. That's good. They're not as frequently carriers of Lyme disease.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:25 PM

He also needs his ears cleaned :)

You can buy a solution or use vegetable oil, and that should kill any ear mites if he has any.

Apr 25, 2010, 06:28 PM

Do you think this tick will come out in the middle of the night. I am not sure how comfortable we are removing it. :/
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:29 PM

It could... not likely, but it could. Why aren't you comfortable?

Apr 25, 2010, 06:30 PM

We don't want to hurt him, and we want to make sure the whole thing comes out.
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:32 PM

Try the alcohol solution, or a warm pin. Living in a Provence where ticks run rampant, it's not really that bad, but I do understand wanting to get the whole thing. But the longer you leave it, the worse and deeper the tick will go.

Apr 25, 2010, 06:36 PM

Okay, thanks. I guess we are going to take it out now, and we will bring him to the vet tomorrow to have the tick tested and to make sure he's okay. Thanks for the help!
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:37 PM

No problem, you can try this method too: With a tweezers or tick removal device, grab the tick as close to the head as possible. With steady, gentle pressure, pull the tick out of the skin. Frequently, pieces of skin may come off with the tick.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:37 PM

A good discussion here but somewhere it was said lyme's disease can't be cured. That is not true but folks believe it. DVBID: Treatment | CDC Lyme Disease
    Dogs Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:40 PM

I've read that since lyme disease is constantly changing to fight the anti bodies it can never really be cured. Also just watched a documentary on that as well. Also with early treatment it can be controlled and lay dormant with no reoccurring symptoms.

Apr 25, 2010, 06:47 PM

Well we will see what the vet says, hopefully the tick doesn't carry Lyme
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 07:16 PM

Not sure what you have been reading but most bacteria is constantly changing, not trying to fight anything including antibiotics. they just mutate. Dear ticks appear to be the primary carrier so our poster may be in luck. There is a treatment for an infected dog too How To Treat Lyme Disease in Dogs?Diagnosis and Treatment

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ticks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I need some help regarding the ticks from my german shepherd pup. I got him sprayed for ticks just a month ago but he is getting an attack of ticks. Let me know how I can get rid of them from my dog ?

Nine week old puppie with fleas and ticks [ 2 Answers ]

Is there anything that's natural I can use on her so she won't get fleas and ticks when she goes outside to potty? I have heard borax 20 mule team soap but is that wet or dry?

Dryer ticks but won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My whirlpool electric dryer model LER7646AQ0 WHen I turn the timer it ticks the start button set and unsetts properly I have 220 to the dryer and I have tested continuity to the thermal swithes and the dryer still won't start. Any ideas?

Ticks in between toes... Any Idea's? [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 dogs. A 2yr old Staffy X and a 6 month labrador X. I constantly have to pull litrally hundreds of ticks out from in between their toes and the bottom of their feet. Every time I do this it eally upsets me as I feel like I am not helping them to stop it from happening. I have tried Garlic...

Ticks [ 4 Answers ]

Im wondering what can be done about these pesky little ticks in my yard. Ive pulled them off my kids and myself and my dog. My kids are not too happy to go outside and play anymore and It's a shame for such a lovely yard to go to waste with no one playing in it.

View more questions Search