Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdubendorf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Should I replace my gas valve?
    My Trane XV-90 is not heating on its own. When a thermostat calls for heat it goes through the following cycle:

Combustion Blower Starts
    Igniter starts to glow
    I hear a click
    The igniter turns off after about 15 to 20 seconds
    The Combustion Blower Stops
    The Combustion Blower Starts
    The Igniter begins to glow
    I hear a click
    The igniter stops glowing after about 15 to 20 seconds.
    The Blower Fan comes on with cool air blowing throughout the house. No further attempts are made to ignite unless I reset the system.

I can get the unit to work by tapping with my hand on the bottom of the gas valve when I hear the click. At that point gas ignites, the igniter stops glowing and the furnace operates normally until the call for heat is satisfied.

The unit currently has 2 zones with a Trane Zone system. The model number is TUY100R9V4V1. It's about 10 years old and in good shape.

Three questions:

1. Is it most likely the gas valve? (I think it is since tapping on the valve causes the gas to ignite).

2. If it isn't the gas valve what else should I be looking at?

3. Any suggestions on where to purchase a 2 stage gas valve? The one location I saw had a valve that looked like it a different jack than my gas valve.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 03:19 PM

1. Yes

2. Voltage to gas valve. Voltage drop across relay controlling gas valve. These aren't likely. Other possibilites: transformer, relay activating gas valve, low gas pressure.

3. 2 Stage Gas Valve, 24 Volt Coil, 1/2" inlet 1/2" outlet.(White Rodgers) *UPGRADED MODEL: American HVAC Parts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace Coil kit for dryer gas valve (2 coils, new style) [ 4 Answers ]

RE: Whirlpool Gas Dryer How to replace Coil kit for dryer gas valve (2 coils, new style)?

Amana gas heating unit will not heat. Gas valve comes on, ignites then goes off. [ 1 Answers ]

The gas valve comes on and I hear ignition. The flame then immediately goes out and the process repeats. I turned the unit off because as long as I leave it on the process repeats continuously.

Carrier Natural Gas Furnace main gas valve will not open every call for heat [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 Natural Gas Furnace not functioning properly. We have replaced pressure switch, hot surface ignitor, flame sensor and control board. It will cycle 3 to 4 times and then not come back on. Is it possibly a bad coil on gas valve?:rolleyes:

Flexi vs. Black iron gas line to water heater gas valve [ 3 Answers ]

I have seen gas water heater " install kits" that use the yellow flex appliance line for the gas connection to the gas valve on the water heater. My tank was installed when the house was built and has black iron pipe all the way to the union and into the valve on the tank. I have heard some codes...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

View more questions Search