Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcomber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Furnace only turns on by manual switch
    Hello,

Im not an HVAC person, but hope to be armed with a little information before calling a professional and not getting charged for any unnecessary charges.

I have a Bryant gas furnace (forced air) that is five years old. I have an electronic/digital thermostat (Honeywell) that controls the furnace (batteries just changed). Recently, I have noticed that when I set the furnace (on auto) to maintain a constant temperature (like 68 degrees), it will say that the furnace is heating (designated by a little flame image on the thermostat) but the furnace is not operating at all. When I go up to the furnace and flick the light switch on and off and goes right back on and heats the house until it reaches 68 degrees and then shuts off. When the temperature in the house goes back under 68 degrees, the furnace does not start again until I turn the switch on and off. I check the circuit breaker and it was fine. Sometimes it works for a few days, but then I have to repeat the process as mentioned above.

I am trying to sell my home, so I hope this nothing majour, just want to make sure I have a good idea of what it is before having the service tech come out and do not get overcharged for something. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 04:22 AM
    I doubt the thermostat has anything to do with it. Next time it fails, jumper the red and white wires and see if the furnace kicks on. If not, it is the furnace, most likely the control board. I paid $300 a few years ago for one for my Bryant furnace.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
    It sounds like the furnace is locking out. Next time it stops running don't turn anythind on or of and check for a blinking code inside the furnace, usually a small red LED light behind a small peek hole of the blower compartment
    dcomber Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dcomber
    Hello,

Im not an HVAC person, but hope to be armed with a little information before calling a professional and not getting charged for any unnecessary charges.

I have a Bryant gas furnace (forced air) that is five years old. I have an electronic/digital thermostat (Honeywell) that controls the furnace (batteries just changed). Recently, I have noticed that when I set the furnace (on auto) to maintain a constant temperature (like 68 degrees), it will say that the furnace is heating (designated by a little flame image on the thermostat) but the furnace is not operating at all. When I go up to the furnace and flick the light switch on and off and goes right back on and heats the house until it reaches 68 degrees and then shuts off. When the temperature in the house goes back under 68 degrees, the furnace does not start again until I turn the switch on and off. I check the circuit breaker and it was fine. Sometimes it works for a few days, but then I have to repeat the process as mentioned above.

I am trying to sell my home, so I hope this nothing majour, just want to make sure I have a good idea of what it is before having the service tech come out and do not get overcharged for something. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks for your replies, they are greatly appreciated. I called a few professionals today and they both said the same thing, check for the blinking light when it begins to shut down after heating. I just hope it is nothing major, like a $300 control board, but I guess that's how it goes... thanks so much!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 02:49 PM
    Most likely it won't be the board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Manual Fan OK - Not Auto Though [ 1 Answers ]

I have a York Stellar Plus (15yrs old) with an Auto and Manual Fan Switch on the T-stat. The Fan will work when turned to ON (at the T-Stat) but it will not come on when you turn the heat on with the Fan switch turned to Auto. I have replaced the Limit Switch. No difference Thanks!

Wiring manual fan switch [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like to wire my blower motor to my Honeywell CT2800 programmable thermostat so that I can use the manual blower switch. However, I am a bit confused as to how to do this. The furnace is a Clare Brothers MBG120. The 120VAC comes into the furnace and the white wire goes to the 120VAC to 24VAC...

Knocking in furnace when AC turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My AC is cooling OK, after I spent $250 last week having a new blower motor put in the furnace unit, but it continues to make a "knocking" sounds for a minute or two after the fan shuts off. It's so loud it wakes me up, which is why I'm posting at 5:20 A.M.; I also noticed that the line is icing up.

Furnace blower turns on and off [ 4 Answers ]

Furnace comes on and heats properly. After it turns off the blower kicks on and off several times more times.

Furnace blower on manual [ 4 Answers ]

Our installer told us to run our air blower on manual and continuously. During the winter months, it seems to make the house "drafty" by pushing unheated air through the system when the furnace is not running. He also said that the cost of running the blower would be negligeble. What are the...

View more questions Search