Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 04:17 AM
    M.T.D. Help desk
    The rear drive belt on my MTD ride on lawn tractor kept coming off. I bought a new OEM belt,replaced it but still have the same problem. Any thoughts. Thank you
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 11:41 AM

Sounds like your belt guides aren't on correct.
    Also check your idler pulleys make sure they are turning freely.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 06:41 PM

Hi,
    The bolt(s) that hold the front of the transaxle to the horizontal stay are missing. The transaxle will twist and derail the belt under load. Several styles have been used from a 1/4" bolt to a pair of thread-cutting bolts.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Scottowner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 07:04 AM

Thanyou for the help. I have the old version of the 600 Series Transmatic. There do not appear to be any bolts missing but there is only one belt guide bolt,should there be more ? All pulleys rotate freely. How much spring tension should there be on the idler pulley ?
    Thank you
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Hi,
    It was not easy to find a picture with the bolt in it. Most do not have the bolt shown. In the picture it is item# 52. It is 1/4" - 28 x 1.75" with a lockwasher and not above (items 14 and 39) that fasten it. I have generally used Nyloc nuts for extra security and holding ability.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help desk [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usage of help desk if we are considering about a web site? As moodle?

Ask me help desk [ 1 Answers ]

During a workout, a person repeatedly lifts a 12 lb barbell through a distance of 1.5 ft. How many "reps" of this lift are required to burn off 105 Cal? I know you use the equation, Q=mgh m=5.448 kg height = .4572m use these conversions instead of above. its easy to find Q, but what I...

Ask me help desk [ 2 Answers ]

How can I stop Outlook Express in the process of sending an email?

Help desk [ 5 Answers ]

I need to now where I can find any kind of information on help desk such as where can I joun magazines and learn more about the help desk industry and how companies run their help desks??

Desk [ 2 Answers ]

I had an old desk given to me that needed the veneer repaired and was too damaged to refinish without a lot of time. I chose to patch and sand the missing veneered areas and paint it white. Although the entire surface has been sanded the stain is showing through the paint and looks pink! What can I...

View more questions Search