Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdevang2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Breaking a leasing contract for an apartment in Texas to purchanse a new house
    Do I have any other way to get out if I breach a contract agreement with the apartment, because I want to buy a new home, and the new home is a really good offer not to miss out? Could you let me know. Thanks
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 04:26 AM
    A lease is a contract and you are bound to it. You should approach the landlord and see if you can make a deal. He may consider a buyout, you could help him find someone to take over your lease (someone that he would have to approve, of course), etc.

Either way, definitely approach the landlord right away to see if he'll offer you any options.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 5, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Talk to your landlord about your ability to assign or sublet your lease and then task your Realtor with finding a replacement tenant - otherwise, you will be paying rent and house payment through the end of your lease.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:02 AM
    Hello gd:

In most states, even if you break your lease, your landlord is required to mitigate your losses. That means he must try to rent the apartment as soon as he can to limit your losses. He can't just sit back and collect on an empty apartment, like has been suggested.

excon
    gail113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2009, 01:27 PM

My husband lost his job and we need to get a cheaper place ASAP. We posted our ad at www.moveoutnotice.com . We need to find a replacement renter ourselves so we can move out early. Our apartment says we won't be charged extra fees when we break our lease if a new renter signs a brand new lease. Very simple. If we help the apartment complex speed up the process of finding a replacement renter ourselves then we don't have to pay the extra fees. It is a very nice community and our unit has a fireplace and beautiful golf course view near the popular Addison area in North Dallas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legalities of a Texas Apartment Association Lease [ 23 Answers ]

Is a TAA (Texas Apartment Association) Lease valid if it is not signed by both parties? The copy of the lease I have that was provided to me by the management copy is not signed by them. Does this void the terms of the contract lease?

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

New house slab plumbing Texas [ 1 Answers ]

Jgurley New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Hi, I've spent the past few days trying to find information about how to do drain plumbing for a new home here in north Texas. From all my searching your answers on the 'ask me' site show the most common sense and also prove your years of...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search