Yes
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 4, 2006, 08:27 PM
    I second that.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
    See this thread that deals with it: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/philos...ighlight=slave
    iceman8238 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
    I don't think this is a very intelligent question. I'm sorry:cool:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2006, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman8238
    i dont think this is a very intelligent question. im sorry:cool:
    Why not?

Are you implying that slavery IS wrong and anyone who questions it is silly for doing so?

Why is it so wrong?

Do we not enslave cows, chickens, etc.

So some people might view owning slaves as OK.

While you and I may disagree with those people, it doesn’t make it a silly question.
    Druid Posts: 12, Reputation: 6

Dec 21, 2006, 01:55 AM
    If You Were The Slave --- Would You Consider It An Injustice.

You Have Your Answer.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Dec 21, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iversonluvr14
    Is slavery wrong?
    Very wrong !
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Here is an idea to help you answer your question.
    Offer to live with someone and work for them for 24 hours a day for no money.
    Live in a tent in the backyard with no running water or new clothes.
    Careful not to do anything wrong though, because your master can beat you with a whip at any time.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Dec 22, 2006, 12:45 AM
    Slavery is definitely wrong. However, not all slavery systems were equal. I think you are describing slavery under Britain and the USA and other kindred countries which had virtually no laws protecting the slaves. Portugal and Spain had laws which protected those under slavery. For example, Under these the slave was allowed to work during the weekends in order to save so he could eventually by back his freedom. The separation of close family members was prohibited-as well as arbitrary cruelties.

The website from which the following excerpt was taken describes the differences between the two systems, a difference similar to the difference between night and day.

Excerpt:

The Spanish Crown included the slaves as persons instead of relegating them solely to the status of property at the disposal of their owners... when a slave ship reached the New World, a friar boarded the ship and examined the slaves to see that the requirements had been met. The Church also insisted that the slaves become regular communicants, and it liked to view itself as the champion of their human rights...

The law also defended the right of the slave to purchase his own freedom. He had the right to own property and could accumulate funds with which he might eventually achieve his dream. He also had the right to demand that his master or the courts set a fixed price for his purchase which he could then pay over a period of years. Sundays and holidays were for the slave to use as he saw fit, and, in some cases, he was also guaranteed a couple of hours every day for his own use. During this time he could sell his services and save the proceeds. The law also stated that parents of ten or more children were to be set free. Finally, slaves could be freed by the courts as the result of mistreatment by their masters.

http://www.rit.edu/~nrcgsh/bx/bx03b.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is slavery wrong? [ 49 Answers ]

Of course I know that slavery is wrong. This is a strictly an exercise in philosophical reasoning. It is easy to say the right things but it is far more important to understand why. So the question is; Why shouldn't I be able to own another human being?

View more questions Search