Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 24, 2010, 10:12 AM
    Holly Carburetor problems
    I have a dual bowl 4v Holly on a Ford 351 cid engine.
    The choke is activated or pulled off (?) by electric control.
    It seems like it either chokes too much or not enough. It starts fine, but when the engine is partly warmed up, if it dies, it may not restart. When I set the choke richer to correct this problem, it seems to choke too much when the engine is warmed up.

I have rebuilt several Quadrajets successfully, but this is my first experience with a Holly.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:54 AM

Personally, I would buy an inexpensive rebuild kit; clean the carburetor in stoddard fluid; blow it out with air; install the new parts and gaskets; and set the choke pull-off, idle mixture screws, float, etc. Ensure the insulator between the carburetor and intake manifold are new. If there's an air leak there, you'll never get it to run right.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 12:27 PM

Holley's are a real PITA to set up. Do you know how to do propane enrichment? It's the BEST way to set those pesky things.

See this post in an old thread of mine:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...on-214855.html
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 12:40 PM

What year is this set up for and what type of air cleaner is on it.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Apr 26, 2010, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What year is this set up for and what type of air cleaner is on it.
    1985 Ford PU 351 cid with paper element (stock).

Seems to run OK, but often keeps slowing at idle until it dies. Then it can be difficult to start, needs extra choke, especially if it is not completely warmed up.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 05:55 PM

The throttle plates may not be positioned in the idle system. The propane enrichment method will ensure that.

If you have a small propane torch and a tach, you can easily see the effects. Just inject some propane in the intake when monitoring the RPM. As you add propane there should be little difference in the idle speed, until the carb can no longer compensate, then it will stop.

It should increase to a max RPM and then start to decline. The MAX RPM probably should be no more than 25-50 RPM over the initial RPM.

To do it right you have to injet it cleanly into a vacuum port and have a means to regulate and turn off the gas independently.

For a test, you can use the air horn.

Typical ways to determine your not in the idle system is rough idle when it's raining.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    1985 Ford PU 351 cid with paper element (stock).

Seems to run ok, but often keeps slowing at idle until it dies. Then it can be difficult to start, needs extra choke, especially if it is not completely warmed up.
    Check here for carb and choke adjustment.

Ref:

Rebuilt, now to adjust? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The 4180-c should be the correct carb for your truck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carburetor problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 72 gmc pickup with a 350engine and a 4brl carb,the problem is that my carb is not getting any fuel but when I remove the fuel line from the carb it's full of fuel,and when it does run as I step on the gas it just bogs out,also while engine is off as I press the throttle I can see a strong...

Holly bushes are too big [ 3 Answers ]

I have 4 holly bushes(trees) about 8+ feet tall. They are bloking windows how far can I cut them back or do I need to remove them and start over with something like hydragea's and keep them trimed back ? Thanks... Nevada Ron New to Tennessee and could use some help on this matter.. I...

Holly [ 4 Answers ]

My Lab Holly turned a year old 2 August. I had her X-rayed the next week and mailed the X-Ray to the service dog school. My vet said her hips are good. She was kept lean and started adult chow by 4 months. Some of their staff will be in the area 23 October and will pick her up saving us a...

A tribute to Buddy Holly [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Do you know a website where I can find the lyrics of "A tribute to Buddy Holly" written by Geoff Goddard and sang by Mike Berry in the early 60's? Thanks Jolatomate

View more questions Search