Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:53 PM
    Oscillations and ionosphere
    I had a question in my physics book which I can't solve... I don't even know where to start :(

The ionosphere contains free electrons. What is the amplitude of these electrons when subjected to a 200 kHz electromagnetic wave in which the oscillations of electric field have amplitude 5 x 10^-3 V/m?

A. 3.2 x 10^-15 m
    B. 4.0 x 10^-9 m
    C. 2.5 x 10^-8 m
    D. 5.6 x 10^-4 m
    E. 2.2 x 10^-2 m

~~~~
    Electrons have a charge of 1.6 x 10^-19 C... So, force is 8 x 10^-22 N. I don't even know if that force will be needed :(

I tried using

but not only I get a negative number, but the number lies between the answers of D and E.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 12:12 AM

Okay, Unky, all I can say is this. If you can't solve it, I have no hope in hell of even getting close.

I hope someone can help. I know it's not me.

Good luck kiddo. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 12:44 AM

Would it come from E=kQ/R^2
    k = permetivity (see Permittivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Q = charge on electron
    solve for 2R

Just an idea.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 01:44 AM

Ok, so you're probably suggesting this then:

?

I know this formula, and epsilon nought is the permittivity of free space.

The problem is, I can't find the link between the question and the solution. I know I can use that formula in cases for example a charged sphere, and then, I find the electric field at distance 'r' from the sphere. Here, there is no 'charge centre', and I'm at a loss... =/
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 10:11 AM

K varies with f. Find k.
    See link.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 10:36 AM

Um.. still confused. K is a constant...

If you're telling me to find the force... wait, there aren't any information to find that. I need to get either Q or r to get that, and that charge is not due to the electron but to the source of the electromagnetic wave...

Ebaines, some input from you would be welcome too!
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 11:52 AM

From the link, I woas sort of thinking of this:

instantaneously to an applied field. The response must always be causal (arising after the applied field) which can be represented by a phase difference. For this reason permittivity is often treated as a complex function (since complex numbers allow specification of magnitude and phase) of the (angular) frequency of the applied field ω, . The definition of permittivity therefore becomes

?

where

D0 and E0 are the amplitudes of the displacement and electrical fields, respectively,
    i is the imaginary unit, i 2 = −1.

Problem is, what is
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 12:06 PM

Uh... I don't think my syllabus requires me to go that far... :eek:
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2010, 04:45 PM

1 N/C = 1 V/m Helpful?

I know I can't solve it, but I am going to speculate on some problems I see with this problem.

The amplitude of the radio frequencies is in V/m while the ionosphere is only given in m (answers).

If you're talking force, wouldn't the electron density of the ionosphere be helpful.

Some other things I know that aren't mentioned. 250kHz is a strange frequency. Its right on the border between VHF and UHF. This makes it very susceptible to density. The electro-density of the ionosphere would determine weather it is bounced off, absorbed, or let through. There is nothing mentioned about the inverse square law.

I really don't have much of a clue, but these are a few things that popped into my mind as I read through the thread.

Good Luck.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 06:06 AM

Thanks for your input. Yes, I knew that 1 N/C = 1 V/m, but I can't see where the electric field can be connected to the amplitude and the frequency.

I guess I'll have to wait until the day my teacher's going to give the correction for this number...
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 06:03 PM

If I get a chance, I'll check my "Field theory" book if I can find it.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2010, 10:56 PM

Sure, thanks KISS :)

By Thursday, I'll be having the correction and I'll post it here, just in case you wanted to know :)
    Uber Member

May 8, 2010, 09:00 PM

Sorry for the late reply, I got the solution, then did a wrong calculation and thought that I missed something in the solution, but it was a mere calculation mistake. :o I really need to revise this chapter because the answer is in fact really easy...

Ok, here we go, KISS, you were nearer with your first idea ;)

Given the electric field, we can find the force that the electron experiences using:

Then, using the equation in oscillations, or circular motion, we know that:

where r is the amplitude here.

Equating both, we get:

Uber Member

May 10, 2010, 02:48 PM

Seems simple, NOW!

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oscillations; Simple Harmonic Motion [ 6 Answers ]

I'm having trouble understanding that question. And as such, cannot answer it: Qu: A point moves with S.H.M. along an x-axis according to the equation: \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} + Ax = 0 The period of this motion is: A. \frac{\sqrt A}{2\pi}

Oscillations - velocity of simple harmonic motion [ 3 Answers ]

Sir / Madam I have adoubt in the folwing section of finding the velocity of a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)... I have encircled the place of doubt I have attached a picture file my doubt is how to get a w cos wt from d (a sin...

View more questions Search