Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbieg7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 05:52 PM
    How can husband adopt my son w/out biological dad's full name on birth certificate?
    I live in Maryland. My child was born in Maryland. I was unmarried at the time. My husband wants to adopt our 10 year old son. Here are the problems. I do not know the location of the biological father. I do not remember the address of where he lived the last time I had contact with him around 8-9 years ago. No Affidavit of Parentage was filed. Only his last name and Jr. or II is listed, since our son has the 3rd on his. The only difference in the rest of their names is my son has an additional middle name. I have been physically and financially taking care of my son. My husband has been helping me care for him since my son was 4 years old. The biological hasn't seen my son since he was 2 and had no interest in seeing him or doing for him. My question is what do we have to do in order for my hisband to adopt him?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 06:12 PM

You need the biological father's consent. The Court will order certain steps to attempt to notify the father and, if unsuccessful, will allow service by publication.

You will need an Attorney.

You cannot accomplish an adoption with notifying the father and, if he consents, obtaining his signature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband wants to adopt - Bio donor not on Birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My husband would like to adopt my daughter. Her Bio donor is not listed on her birth certificate. We live in Rhode Island. Her donor has never seen her. I haven't seen him since I was 3 months pregnant. Would I still have to seek him out so he can terminate his rights and what would the procedure...

Biological father not on birth certificate but husband now is does he have rights [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 9 yr old daughter.. an her biological father has never been there or supported her.. his name was never on the birth certificate an now I'm married my husbands name is now on the birth cert.. she carries his last name an has supported her since we've been to gether for 5 yrs.. her...

Want to adopt, but my husband doesn't have a birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I would like to adopt a baby, but he was born in Vietnam in 1973 and got US citizenship when he came to this country as a baby, but doesn't have a birth certificate. All the agency websites I have looked at say that the first step is getting together the birth certificates, marriage...

Can my husband adopt my son if the father is not on the birth certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants to adopt my five year old son. Does the father have to agree if he's not on the birth certificate and hasn't supported his son after the break up? He only saw his son twice in a year and seven days.

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

View more questions Search