Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Apr 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
    Why does my hair break off at the ends?
    Hello. I am a 19 year old girl and I have a problem. My hair keeps breaking off at the ends! I have naturally curly hair and almost never straighten it or anything like that. I don't use any product in my hair and don't even blow dry it(I let it air dry). I also rarely tye it up or anything like that. I wash and condition my hair regularly and try to keep it clean. My hair is actually very shiny and soft and you can easily run your fingers through it. I get it cut regularly and maintain it. But I'm noticing the ends keep breaking off! I can literally snap it off!

Why is it doing this and can anyone help? ):

Apr 23, 2010, 02:24 PM

Also, I should mention I've never dyed my hair or used any chemicals in it. I have virgin hair.
    MadMadame Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 02:51 PM

The way curly hair grows there are are weaker "joint" in it... This can help hair break easier... If you have atone of hair your going to loose more hair. For most this is normal... Couple questions. How often are you washing your hair? What type of products are you using on your hair?

Apr 27, 2010, 03:02 PM

I wash my hair every other day because it gets greasy/sticky if I do it everyday. I use dove intense damage therapy shampoo and conditioner
    MadMadame Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 03:11 PM

Most people over-wash their hair... You need the natural oil on your head to keep your scalp happy. You most likely have slightly overactive sebacious glands (makes the oil in your hair)... Try washing your have every 3 days, Shampoo twice then condition. At first you will feel GREASY by that 3rd day but after a few weeks the amount of oil your scalp produces will go back to normal. The more you wasthe more oil your scalp produces to try and keep your scalp happy. You can wet your hair on the off days, just don't shampoo. Secondly invest in a good shampoo. For me I am partial to Tigi products. They work well and are good for your hair. It is more expensive but it is also a better product where less goes further. Bed Head - Control Freak might be a good start for you, since you said you have curly hair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Split ends breaking, freezy hair [ 4 Answers ]

Please help My daugther is 16 years old, she is mixed black and hispanic, she has curly hair, for the last thee years she has been experimenting what to do with her hair. We used relaxer two times, hair color 2 times. She uses the hot flat iron a lot , because it is the only method that works...

Dry hair with split ends. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have dry hair with split ends. How can I treat my hair? What steps can I take to prevent more split ends. Please help.

Damaged hair ends [ 1 Answers ]

I'm lightning my roots, but my hair is about 3 to 4 inches long and I don't want any of the dye to TOUCH the ends. Last time I lightened my roots, I got dye on the ends because my hair is to short to keep it off. Is there anything I could put on my ends like vaseline or something to protect them...

Breaking hair (after braids). Thinning from ends upward. [ 1 Answers ]

Help! We are an African-American family with a question about "hair breakage". My daughter experienced a lot of breakage (thinning from the hair ends) about 6 to 8 weeks ago after coming out of braids. The hair used was synthetic and coarse. Her hair is fine. So the braids simply "ate through"...

View more questions Search