Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adigaay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
    Upgrade from windows vista to widows 7 professional, unable to read 4 gigas ram
    I had recently upgrade my windows sony vaio laptop from windows ( vista) to windows ( 7 professional 32 bit ) but the problem is that after the upgrade , the laptop only able to see a : ( 2.47 GB ) of memory RAM instead of :( 4.00 GB) RAM , and my sony classification is : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor , [email protected]
    Installed memory (RAM) : 4.00 GB ( 2.47 GB usable)
    System type : 32-bit operating system

And I feel that my laptop application is slow that it was before... so please can someone help me about my problem!!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 10:18 PM

Run MSCONFIG from a command prompt and see if the Max Memory option is checked under the Advanced Boot options.
    adigaay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    Run MSCONFIG from a command prompt and see if the Max Memory option is checked under the Advanced Boot options.
    Hi there : Scleros ,
    Thank you for your answer but it still the same problem , I had check it and make it to : 4096 , but nothing had change!!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 05:47 PM

The max memory option should be left unchecked. Since it was already unchecked, the value for your usable amount is correct for your specific computer configuration. See The usable memory may be less than the installed memory in 64-bit version of Windows 7 for a discussion of things that will reduce the usable memory even on 32 bit systems. Also, if your computer supports Physical Address Extensions and the feature can be enabled, all of the memory may then be listed as usable. The documentation for the computer may have this information. If you have need for this much or more memory, 64 bit computing is the way to go.

Additional Background on Windows and Memory:
    RAM, Virtual Memory, Pagefile and all that stuff
    Memory Limits for Windows Releases
    Mark's Blog : Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory
    Geoff Chappell - Licensed Memory in 32-Bit Windows Vista
    The Old New Thing : Why can't I see all of the 4GB of RAM in my machine?
    IanG on Tap: 3GB or 4GB - a 'Virtual' Memory Upgrade

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any way to get a widows 98 or windows xp game to run on vista? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a PC game that came out in 1998. I love it but it won't run on my new computer which runs Vista. Is there anything I can do, or any software I can load, that will allow it to run on my Vista machine?

Widows 7 or Windows Vista home premium [ 4 Answers ]

I am wondering since I have at least 1 laptop that I plan on re doing what should I put on for a operating system? It currently has Vista hp on it so would Windows 7 be a lot better?

Received Error trying to install Windows Vista upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Iam trying to upgrade Windows XP to Vista home premium. I went on line and downloaded the check my system and everything was graded OK. I then attempted to load Windows Vista Home Premium and when I hit install I got an error code: 0x80004005, The computer does not have enough space for temporay...

Unable to install windows XP professional [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Sir, I am unable to complete windows XP professional setup.I have formatted D,E,F drives after entering into the system.After that I kept a bootable CD and I formatted C drive during setup.After setup has completed copying setup files system is restarting and displaying the error as "...

Unable to install Windows XP Professional [ 11 Answers ]

I have more than 10 systems and am typically a whiz at computers. I have been installing WIndows XP since long but to my surprise, in one particular system, I am unable to install Windows XP Professional. The computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.7 Ghz on a 845LDM chipset board & 256 DDR. The surprising...

View more questions Search