Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 08:41 AM
    What was your first impression of AMHD?
    I was thinking about this some time one day and I was thinking about the first time coming into AMHD, logging on, seeing the "people" here, looking at the categories.

I didn't come here alone. It was intentionally going to be a shared account with my ex, something to do when we were bored. And at the time I had a questions and Yahoo Answers wasn't giving me anything..

What I thought of AMHD at first isn't the same of what of think of it now. I thought, at first, that people really competed to have those greenies, that no matter what advice they gave they just wanted that extra green under their name. The whole mod thing kind of freaked me out, they were always changing threads and laying down the law. I found that the senior members [not all] were a little mean. A little uninviting at times.

However my perspective has changed a lot since when I joined. I see that mods are there to keep things in order, and when Sally32134 asks why her urine is red in 12 different sections we don't get confused about where to answer and which one we originally answered. Now I know that senior members, aren't actually crabby and uninviting, they're just really tired of trolls...

So what was YOUR first impression of AMHD? Was it negative? Positive?

Whether you're a newbie, a long time member, or somewhere in between, it'd be interesting to find out what your first impression was about the site.

Thanks for answering :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    However my prespective has changed a lot since when I joined. I see that mods aren't there to keep things in order, and when Sally32134 asks why her urine is red in 12 different sections we don't get confused about where to answer and which one we originally answered. Now I know that senior members, aren't actually crabby and uninviting, they're just really tired of trolls...
    Um, muddy, did you mean 'are'?:)

My first impression was that the mods actually do their jobs. It was a very welcome change to most places I have looked at over the years.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 09:25 AM
    I was really impressed with how fast my first question about wiring a thermostat was answered and how understanding the experts were with an ignorant do-it-yourselfer (thanks, Tom).

Then I thought I could do this and maybe make a little paypal. That ain't happened but I've made some wonderful friends to chat with, flirt with, argue with, and worry with.

I'm so hooked I even hooked my wife.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yes, my old friend tom is just so amazing !

Are you talking about a past experience before you joined AMHD, or is this question you asked after you joined.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Um, muddy, did you mean 'are'?:)

My first impression was that the mods actually do their jobs. It was a very welcome change to most places I have looked at over the years.
    Haha whoops! I was typing fast!
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, my old friend tom is just so amazing !

Are you talking about a past experience before you joined AMHD, or is this question you asked after you joined.

tick
    I'm talking about your FIRST impression of AMHD. Like when you joined Tick what did you think?
    Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    I'm talking about your FIRST impression of AMHD. Like when you joined Tick what did you think?
    Yes mud I know what you mean, I was asking Castmine about his response. I wasn't volunteering my first impressions.

I will have to to consider my answer to YOUR question.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 11:42 AM
    Yes mud I know what you mean, I was asking Castmine about his response. I wasnt volunteering my first impressions.

tick
    Haha! Oh sorry, I got a little confused there. Today is a day where I miss small things... maybe it's because I had crêpes for breakfast loaded with whipped cream... mmm!
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Apr 23, 2010, 12:56 PM

Overall, this site made a great impression on me. Senior members were very friendly and helpful and the experts really knew their topics well. There were a few people who could be a bit condescending but luckily they were very few. Keep up the good work everyone.
    Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    Overall, this site made a great impression on me. Senior members were very friendly and helpful and the experts really knew their topics well. There were a few people who could be a bit condescending but luckily they were very few. Keep up the good work everyone.
    Condescending isn't all bad. It shows you are confident in the knowledge you are imparting. Mostly the poster doesn't know they are being that way. A few of my teachers were that way, but I really didn't think much of it. They knew what they were talking about and were confident.

Could be you may find my response a little scewed. I had thought of that. It is my opinion though and no one else's.

Tick
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 03:04 PM
    Yes mud I know what you mean, I was asking Castmine about his response. I wasnt volunteering my first impressions.

tick
    I joined to ask the question about the thermostat, Tick. I joined three Q&A boards that Thursday. The A/C was running again Saturday. I still haven't gotten an answer from Yahoo, a year later.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 03:07 PM

I joined to find a song. I was hooked. I love AMHD.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 03:33 PM

When I joined everyone was very helpful except for one and I avoid that person as much as possible now.
    There were a couple people who seemed a little uppity and they still seem that way today, so I guess I had the same impression then as I do today.

Like it is a big family with some crazy aunts and uncles:)

I came on to find a way to get my dog to stop itching. My dog still itches.

I want my money back:)
    Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post

Like it is a big family with some crazy aunts and uncles:)

I came on to find a way to get my dog to stop itching. My dog still itches.

I want my money back:)
    Yes, crazy aunts and uncles, isn't that so true ***love it*** you can't have your money back you are stuck with us now.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 03:46 PM

I came to ask a question about inheritance after my mother-in-law passed on. Scott answered immediately and gave me very helpful advice. Having gotten what I came for, I left and didn't give the site a second thought.

Then a few months later I got an email asking if I would be willing to come back, ask or answer more questions. It had been so long that I didn't remember my password, had to get a new one.

I came, looked around, answered a few questions, got into an argument with a few of the younger guys in the relationship forum. We ended up agreeing to disagree, in fact, Sneezy, one of the guys I disagreed with, is now one of my best friends, we talk daily.

I was hooked, started looking at more questions that I could answer, asked a few of my own, made friends and the rest is history.

As for the mods, they do a really hard job and they do it for free. You couldn't pay me to do it. They have to make tough decisions about threads, posts, people, with only the written word to go by. It's often hard to determine what's in a persons heart or mind just by reading what they post. A lot gets lost in translation, but the mods do it every day and often get abuse for the job they do. They make the site safe for everyone. I applaud them.

The fact is, if we didn't have the wonderful mods we have, this site would be chaos. I don't think anyone really realizes the amount of crap the mods are subjected to just because they're doing their jobs, jobs that they do willingly, for free.

I love this site and the people I've gotten to know on it. This really is a family, a community, and I for one (and I know most others feel the same way) welcome new people. I was once new here, and I was welcomed with open arms, that's what I hope to do for anyone that comes here, even if I sometimes don't agree with them.

Group hug? :)
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 03:56 PM

GROUP HUG!

I joined trying to sharpen my teeth. I discovered this site and was so excited to find one that would truly help with problems, not ridicule me. I was so excited in fact I posted a wave of questions, causing a certain mommy figure of mine to think me an attention seeker. My first impression was, WOW
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I came to ask a question about inheritance after my mother-in-law passed on. Scott answered immediately and gave me very helpful advice. Having gotten what I came for, I left and didn't give the site a second thought.

Then a few months later I got an email asking if I would be willing to come back, ask or answer more questions. It had been so long that I didn't remember my password, had to get a new one.

I came, looked around, answered a few questions, got into an argument with a few of the younger guys in the relationship forum. We ended up agreeing to disagree, in fact, Sneezy, one of the guys I disagreed with, is now one of my best friends, we talk daily.

I was hooked, started looking at more questions that I could answer, asked a few of my own, made friends and the rest is history.

As for the mods, they do a really hard job and they do it for free. You couldn't pay me to do it. They have to make tough decisions about threads, posts, people, with only the written word to go by. It's often hard to determine what's in a persons heart or mind just by reading what they post. A lot gets lost in translation, but the mods do it every day and often get abuse for the job they do. They make the site safe for everyone. I applaud them.

The fact is, if we didn't have the wonderful mods we have, this site would be chaos. I don't think anyone really realizes the amount of crap the mods are subjected to just because they're doing their jobs, jobs that they do willingly, for free.

I love this site and the people I've gotten to know on it. This really is a family, a community, and I for one (and I know most others feel the same way) welcome new people. I was once new here, and I was welcomed with open arms, that's what I hope to do for anyone that comes here, even if I sometimes don't agree with them.

Group hug? :)

I had empty nest syndrome. I have found a lot of good friends whom I consider my online family. None of you will ever know how you have
    Touched my life. I Love all of you.:)
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat22 View Post
    I had empty nest syndrome. I have found a lot of good friends whom I consider my online family. None of you will ever know how you have
    touched my life. I Love all of you.:)
    I love you Kity!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 04:04 PM

Several Q&A sites I was on were dying, and everyone I knew was gravitating to AMHD. Excon and tomder told me to give it a try, so I did. What I like best is how well it's run. None of the other sites I was on had living, breathing moderators. (That's why they died.)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 23, 2010, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxEmOxXxPrInCeSsxXx View Post
    GROUP HUG!

I joined trying to sharpen my teeth. I discovered this site and was so excited to find one that would truly help with problems, not ridicule me. I was so excited in fact I posted a wave of questions, causing a certain mommy figure of mine to think me an attention seeker. My first impression was, WOW
    I am way too young to be your mother! Just saying. ;)

It worked out in the end. You apologized, I apologized, and look at us now. I was impressed with you because I told you I thought you were just looking for attention, and instead of coming back with an attitude, you apologized. You impressed me, you still do. :)

Okay, now I'm getting all misty. :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Way to Make An Impression? [ 12 Answers ]

What's the best way to make an impression on a guy you have romantic feelings for? I know being yourself is extremely important, but I feel like I'm a failure at flirting! Any tips or suggestions? :)

View more questions Search