Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 23, 2010, 02:57 AM
    Fried Filter?
    Last night I was just sitting at home when the power went out. It was off for a good 4-5 hours. When it came back on the first thing I did was got to my room to set the filter back up. I started pouring water in it hoping to get it started, but nothing happened, it wasn't even making the noise. So I took it off and cleaned it all out and put it back on, it still wasn't making the noise. I left it plugged in last night hoping that it may kick in at some point, it never did. My fish have been 16-17 hours without filter now, and it'll be another 8 as I'm going to be in school all day. Is there a way to start my filter back up:confused:

What do I do:(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 05:38 AM

Oh dear, doesn't sound good.

The power going out might have fried the internals.
    How long was it between the power coming back on and you putting water in the filter?
    It doesn't take long for the motor to burn out and if it was going for any amount of time with no water running through it it can kill it.

How old was the filter as well?
    Some times if they are old sitting for any amount of time can cause the internals to seize up.
    When you took it apart did you make sure everything that used to move still moved?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 09:51 AM

The power outage may have fried the internal motor.

I think you should just get a new filter. Those things are a pain to try and fix on and almost never work in the end.

Do you have an air bubbler? As long as you have oxygen pumping into the tank, you should be OK. You may also want to take out some water and add fresh, cold water. Cold water has oxygen in it. It can help you limp along before you're able to replace the filter.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Apr 23, 2010, 02:07 PM

I came home today to find that my mom had bought me a new filter. I was very grateful, but decided to take another crack at the old one. After a VERY GOOD clean I tried it again and thankfully it started working. Tomorrow were going to return the filter she bought, and buy another 500' of wire for Rex's inground fence... Can't wait, it'll take me a good 1-2 days to dig for it and a few days of training, but then he'll be aloud to run free in the front too! So excited!! ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2010, 05:18 PM

If this is a magnetic drive outside filter, then there is usually a way to stop the motor with your finger. Note, if there is a spinning wheel external to the filter.

When you stop it momentarilty with your finger, the magnets get a chance to align and it will start pumping again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water Filter that will Filter Calcium [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is having trouble with kidney stones and they seem to be calcium stones. We would like to get a under the sink filter system that will filter the calcium (among other things). Can you suggest a good filtration system. We have well water. Thank you! :)

We Fried The Dryer. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore 110.64672400 and my husband thought it would be easy to disconnect the buzzer. He cut the two wires to the buzzer and started the dryer. It ran - until it started to buzz. It gave half a buzz and died. He reconnected the buzzer and it still doesn't work. I saw the schematic...

Pump won't lite after cleaning filter and inner filter [ 1 Answers ]

Filter was complet mush and guk, also in the pump I took out and cleaned the screen , all good now, I primed filter and pump but still would not ignite. Blnk blk blk, after 3 second hold button furnace attempts then must hold for 30 secs to reset from lockout. SO after many attemps, "does it every...

Motherboard Fried? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HP dv1000 notebook. I bought it last September, but the warranty is only a year, so it's no longer good, and HP wants 298.00 to fix the problem. So... I opened up my laptop the other day and turned it on and the blue indicator lights indicating power, and that the hard disk is...

Help I Think Something Has Been Fried [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Right My PC has been died. Right, a few days ago we tried to boot it up and it would come on, but the Hard drive would not boot. If it did boot then the computer would freeze up. Then one day it just stopped working. So we changed the power supply. Now the computer is getting power, the...

View more questions Search