Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    epaguirre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 10:55 PM
    Cat birthing complication
    My cat gave birth to her first kitten early Wednesday morning and has showed no signs of further larbor she is eating and nursing but I fear she may still have babies inside... what should I do? Thanks...
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2010, 09:49 AM

Squish around in her belly. If you feel hard lumps, then yes, she's still pregnant and you need to go to the vet immediately for emergency c-section. The kittens are more than likely dead, and will poison her and the baby that was born.

Its not uncommon at all for these types of animals to have one baby. Especially if it's a young or old cat. The litters that are huge, are the litters birthed when the cat is 1-4 years of age.

The puppy/kitten mills typically get rid of their breeding stock after 6 years of age. The reason for that is because the animal is no longer producing huge litters. It sad :( But true.

But feel around on her.. If you're uncertain, take her to the vet. They can feel around on her, possibly x-ray and see what's going on.

Good luck
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 29, 2010, 11:10 AM

It's also possible that those kittens aren't mature yet, or that she stopped labor. If a cat feels threatened or doesn't have enough privacy, she can stop labor and resume it the next day. Since every kitten in a litter can have a different father, it's not unheard of for babies to be born on different days. I've even known of a couple cats who had 'hidden' kittens they delivered up to a week after the first baby was born.

I know you posted this almost a week ago. Did she ever have any more babies?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heart complication [ 3 Answers ]

My uncle is 64 and has a severe heart problem and diabetes for the last 21 years. For the diabetes he is on insulin twice a day. His heart blockages have increased to apx 80 to 100% and heart functioning rate is just a 15 to 18%. Also he has been on a pace maker since the last 8 years. The...

My cat birthing kittens [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is a first time mom she had given birth to 4 kittens on Thursday at 347pm one did not survive. My husband woke me up at 337 sat morning to see her giving birth again to one more which he said was alive but by the time I got out to the kitchen it was not moving . Should I be expecting...

Chihuahua in trouble birthing [ 3 Answers ]

She had a dead baby yesterday. She seems to still be pregnant how long does it take to have to puppies my neighbor says sometimes a day is this true or will my dog die because the other puppie did not come out or could there have been just one? She is still big Sixkidshavei

Kitten won't come out all the way, what do I do? Birthing complication [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 3 kittens last night starting at 4:00pm. She just started to give birth to a 4th kitten that is not alive and she hasn't pushed the baby all the way out for over an hour. How do I help her to get the baby out without killing my cat? I have no money and cannot go to a clinic for help.

Dashound birthing help [ 2 Answers ]

Our dashound is having her babies right now .Sack came part way out with baby, she broke the sack and baby went back in what should I do or will baby come back out

View more questions Search