Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Apr 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Good running shoes for flat-footed people?
    Hello, I am 19 year old female who is overweight, I recently lost 50 pounds but would like to lose another 40 pounds and I would LOVE to take up running and walking. But, I am extremely flat-footed and if causes me tremendous back and shoulder pain when walking/running too much. I was wondering if there is a specific type of shoes that would be good for me and would lessen the pain?

Any help would be amazing! (:
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 02:05 PM

Go to a physiotherapist or other qualified person and get custom made orthotic insoles made to fit inside your running shoes. These are not cheap, but they will supply exactly the amount of support you need, in the place you need it.

Being flat footed tends to tilt your knees in, which results in knee and hips problems. The right insoles will correct this.
    hidden123 Posts: 153, Reputation: 51

Jul 15, 2010, 12:00 PM
    Hi Skyrocket Away,

I'm also quiet flat footed and I love to run :) My suggestion, is try running on softer surface such as beach sand, grass etc - rather than concrete.

Make sure that you buy proper running shoes with proper support - VERY IMPORTANT (I prefer Nike Air) and put Dr. Sholls insoles in them: http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/index.jsp

Good luck and congratulations on your progress :)
    Skyrocket Away Posts: 173, Reputation: 6

Jul 15, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Comment on hidden123's post
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate your answer! (:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jazz shoes. Good or not good fit? [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a new pair of jazz shoes the other day for dance. My old jazz shoes were much cheaper (from payless) and fit on my feet just right. Now I just got capezio jazz shoes that are much nicer and have nicer leather and such. But they are tight is this normal? How should jazz shoes fit on your...

Stress Fractures & Running Shoes [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I've been diagnosed with two stress fractures, one on my right leg which was a lower fibular stress fracture and one on my left leg which was a lower tibular stress fracture. And I'm about ready to start running, I know running shoes are very important, thus being the reasons I am in this...

Weird feet & running shoes [ 4 Answers ]

I am unsure if anyone can help on this other than what I have already done. I have very high arches, however I still over pronate. I am a distant runner, marathon, and looking for best outcome of supportive shoes that will not negatively effect my running or cause injury. I wear high arch and...

Need to find a store for good shoes [ 1 Answers ]

Have an old pair that are just like street shoes with suede and soles like you'd wear out. Do not like gym shoes for bowling-they do not slide so probably fall on my face trying to bowl w/these. Need to know of a store here near Chicago, IL where I can find shoes like the ones I have.

Running shoes for high arches? [ 1 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good shoe? I run (mostly on the treadmill, sometimes outdoors) about 5k, 3 times weekly. I just can't seem to find a good women's shoe for my high arched feet. Would love to hear your recommendations! x MonikiChiki

View more questions Search