Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karmelcopia Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 12:22 PM
    Do I use the calculated load or the main breaker rating to determine voltage drop and
    I am running a feeder to a panel in my outbuilding. Do I use my calculated load or do I use the 100 amp main breaker rating for my voltage drop and feeder sizing calculations?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 12:39 PM
    The voltage drop calculation is determined by wire size and length of run. How far are you going?

Apr 22, 2010, 01:01 PM

I am running nearly 190 feet to the outbuilding. Planning on a 100 amp double pole main breaker although the calculated load is significantly less.

Apr 22, 2010, 01:07 PM

Do I have to gauge my wire on the calculated load or the 100 breaker rating ,as well as figuring in the voltage drop?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 04:03 PM

Base your calc's on the feeder breaker.

As an example, you are allowed a 60 A feeder and a 100 A subpanel main in your outbuilding . That 100A breaker will act as a disconnect.

The wire size is based on the feeder breaker size and distance.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Karmalcopia, as Kiss said...
    Here's a calculator you can use if you like.
    Wire Size Calculator

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the rating on a main breaker box if there is not a label stating it? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find the rating on a main breaker box it there if not a label stating the amount?

Main circuit breaker size and load? [ 2 Answers ]

My panel box and breakers are Bryant, with about 20 positions for breakers. My question is, my main breaker is 2, 60 Amp breakers doubled, What is my service? 60, 120 ? And what are the total amount of 15 and 20 amp breakers I should have in this panel?

Load Center Main Lug or Main Breaker for the Attic [ 5 Answers ]

I have a large attic (on 3rd floor), 38'x28', which is unfinished space. The 2nd floor central air-condition is located there and used to be fed by a 60 feet of 12/3 cable (I changed the cable to 10/3 to reduce the chance of voltage drop) and it's fed by a dual 15A breaker (240v breaker) in the...

New main breaker load center - grounding [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a fuse box that I want to upgrade to a main breaker load center. My house is in the country so I have a pole with the meter and a service disconnect. From the service disconnect it braches to my barn, well pump, and the house. (Following the main into the house) Inside on...

Electrical outlet rating vs. Circuit breaker amperage rating [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all, I am new to this forum, please excuse me if this question has been answered. I just bought a Thermal Dynamics Plasma cutter. It has a Nema 50-P plug end on it, which I assume is to be plugged into a Nema 50-R outlet. In looking in my reference book, this is a 3 wire...

View more questions Search