Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allen f cook Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 02:27 AM
    Cooking times and temperatures
    I frequently find that the times and oven temperatures given in cookery books are insufficient.

e.g. Delia's Carrot cake : Specified time/temp = 34-40 minutes at Gas 3 (325 degrees F) A friend and me both find 60 minutes plus is required.

e.g. Gary Rhodes Malt Loaf : Specified time/temp = 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours
    at Gas 1 (275 degreesF) I found some 2 hours plus is required.

In my case I have used an oven thermometer to check the temperature before putting the cake into the oven.

Does anyone else ever have this problem.

Thanks,

Allen
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 04:10 AM

All ovens may vary. That is what most modern cook books say. I find that my carrot cake needs an hour, with close watching because the contents are quite dense, i.e. grated carrots and brown sugar, raisins, etc.

Yes, good idea about the oven thermometer. I have an electric oven (which I hate),

Baking a cake is not an exact science, mr. cook. We experienced cooks know this about anything we bake, broil, fry, steam, fricasse, etc.

Ms tick
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2010, 09:59 AM

I unfortunately also have an electric oven, but if I am following a recipe (unless it's my own) I keep an eye on things, because ovens do vary.

I don't use a thermometer, I know when things are done by looking, unless it is a very large piece of protein.:)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 05:03 PM

It also depends on altitude. Everyone forgot that one. The higher the altitude the longer stuff takes to cook. If you were baking a cake at sea level versus Denver it would take less time. Also gas is trickier then electric. I've baked with both gas and electric and I prefer electric as gas actually brings in moisture into the oven and electric does not do this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Off coil temperatures [ 0 Answers ]

The consultant has given me her design conditions for a packaged unit as follows: Total coolong :274.11kW, Sensible cooling: 157.44kW, On Coil Conditions: 23.0oC and 50% RH, off coil conditions: 11.4oC/98%RH. 1.The stated on-coil and off coil conditions does not match the stated total &...

Temperatures and Seasons [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it that March 21 is so much colder than September 21 despite the length of daylight, and thus the sun's angles, being the same? Why isn't the time around June 21 the hottest time of year with the sun's angle the highest and the most amount of daylight?

Even Temperatures [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to even the temperature between downstairs and upstairs. I have multiple units, with multiple thermostats. I am concerned about energy usage. How can I best go about this?

Ground temperatures [ 1 Answers ]

Would ground temperatures be the same between rock and soil (gravel) at various depths in northern Minnesota in January?

Boiling temperatures [ 5 Answers ]

What type of graph should I use to compare speeds of how long it took for something to boil?

View more questions Search