Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Apr 21, 2010, 11:14 PM
    How do I repair a cracked sewer clean out hub?
    I had quite the sewer backup going on last night, had the drain guy out had a great time trying to find the clean out which was under a platform in front of the utility sink in the bathroom. That being said, sewer snaked to 110 feet and toilets flushing and water draining... However, when we looked at the clean out the cast iron clean out (buried in concrete) had cracked and looked like the plug was just pushed in...

The drain guy who did a nice job (cleared it for 185$) said not to worry about it... I have been thinking about it and eventually would like to fix it if possible.

Any advice?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 04:35 AM
    You are not telling us what kind of pipe we are dealing with...

The technician was right. Not too much to worry about. You can take stainless steel band, put it around the pipe and over the crack and tighten it up. It will hold the broken pieces together.

If you want to repair it then expose about 12" of the pipe, cut it below the hub and insert No-Hub coupling onto existing stub-out. Then, insert new Fit-In Female adapter with plug into the new coupling. Tighten up No-Hub Coupling and you have completed your repair.

It is a nice weekend project saving yourself few bucks in the process...

Good luck and let us know how you did. Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2010, 05:17 AM

Where is the cast iron cracked?
    If the cover's loose try wrapping Teflon Tape around the threads. No Big deal! If it's buried in cement It's not going anywhere. Good luck. Tom

Apr 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    You are not telling us what kind of pipe we are dealing with...

The technician was right. Not to much to worry about. You can take stainless steel band, put it around the pipe and over the crack and tighten it up. It will hold the broken pieces together.

If you want to repair it then expose about 12" of the pipe, cut it below the hub and insert No-Hub coupling onto existing stub-out. Then, insert new Fit-In Female adapter with plug into the new coupling. Tighten up No-Hub Coupling and you have completed your repair.

It is a nice weekend project saving yourself few bucks in the process...

Good luck and let us know how you did. Milo
    It is cast Iron like the hub, and it is the threads at the lip that are broken.

Apr 22, 2010, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Where is the cast iron cracked?
    If the cover's loose try wrapping Teflon Tape around the threads. No Big deal!! If it's buried in cement It's not going anywhere. Good luck. Tom
    It is at the very end where the threads are at the lip of the clean out. Hmmm... ok, once I get the sewage smell out of my nise Im going to give it a shot.

Thanks for your help guys
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Apr 22, 2010, 01:27 PM

You could just put an expandable mechanical plug in the hub and sleep easy with no worries
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 02:30 PM
    Hi all:

Adthern, you can try the teflon tape and even an expanding plug as suggested by the others... hopefully work well for you. If those options fail then I would recommend that you get some JBWELD and plug the crack in the lip of the cast iron hub. Let it dry as directed on the package and you should be all set. If you find that the crack continues to spread over time you'll want to drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack and then plug that hole with the jbweld again... but only do this if the crack increases in size... OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 06:22 PM

If it is in the slab - and Cast Iron - than do as Mark suggested. You will be just fine...

May 2, 2010, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHayn View Post
    you could just put an expandable mechanical plug in the hub and sleep easy with no worries
    I actually did go out and get an expandable test plug and put it in and it seems to just barely cover the area that is cracked off. There do not seem to be any leaks or gasses from it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all:

Adthern, you can try the teflon tape and even an expanding plug as suggested by the others...hopefully work well for you. If those options fail then I would recommend that you get some JBWELD and plug the crack in the lip of the cast iron hub. Let it dry as directed on the package and you should be all set. If you find that the crack continues to spread over time you'll want to drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack and then plug that hole with the jbweld again...but only do this if the crack increases in size...OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    Thanks, I have used this kind of putty on a different CI pipe and it worked great. This one is more than a crack in the pipe, its more of a chip that's cracked off because it is at the end with the threads--I would say about 20-25% of the threaded end. The test plug I originally got and put in seems to be holding good enough at this point. I am going to be doing some work on the CI system and swapping some of it over to PVC and I figure I will eventually tear up the floor and replace the CI in the floor with PVC too---Eventually, lol.

I was hoping someone would come up with some magic piece that slipped into the CI and extended it a few inches and voilą all fixed... sigh... oh well...

Thanks guys for all your help! I have a couple of other odd plumbing repairs scheduled so I may be posting more weird problems!

Adam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracked sewer pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I am a new inexperienced home owner with a cracked sewer pipe. It is cracked in the basement where it connects to the one that leads into the ground outside. How does one fix this?

Cracked block repair fluids [ 4 Answers ]

Do any of those cracked block , blown head gaskets ,leaky radiator repair fluids work? If so which works best?

Cracked sewer line [ 6 Answers ]

A few days ago Milo was INCREDIBLY helpful and told me how to make a the sewer line repair in my 80+ year old house. Rain put my project on hold but now I'm back at it and have another question.. . I'm in the middle of this project and I'm unsure what to do. I have dug out the pipe as far as...

So it's official, we have a broken/cracked sewer line [ 1 Answers ]

I can't remember who gave me advise (we had the smell coming up from our basement through our vents in the bathrooms). My husband went into the crawl and searched for cracks, etc. in the drain pipes. We started trying to track the smell (it gets stronger after showers and lots of water running)...

Cement steps cracked by metal railing - best way to repair? [ 2 Answers ]

I have steps in the back of the house that are poured cement, about 6 inches thick, sitting on top of a wood and stucco structure. Embedded in the steps is a metal handrail. Every step where the metal is embedded is cracked and broken. I believe that over the years, water has snuck in between...

View more questions Search