Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nightpowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2010, 04:17 PM
    Can credit cards levy out accounts when we are on SSI disability income only?
    My wife and I used to make around 90+K TGI a year in 2000 to an AGI of $3,117 in 2009 as we both have become totally and permanently disabled. (The AGI would have been $0 if we hadn't taken a draw off my wife's retirement annuity to pay medical bills for 2009). The last-on-our-list of our priorities are our credit card payments, well behind our 2 mortgages, insurances, medical bills, utilities, property tax, etc.; basically keeping a roof over our heads and managing a shadow of a lifestyle of making so much prior to the disability issues. If the credit card companies levy our accounts (which some have threatened to do) we're basically headed for being homeless within 3 months. We had a great credit score until late last year when we both came down with the H1N1 virus and our dilegence with bill paying went asunder. We don't care if they lien our house, but freezing our bank accounts could end up with a possible death as I am a cardiac patient with a plethora of other health issues. I have just recently become eleigible for Medicare (04/01/2010) after 2 years of having NO insurance at all. We have already stopped direct deposits on our disability income so the CC companies can't hurt us, but it's going to delay our income payments by perhaps up to a week. We are not denying that we owe the money and have been making token $10 payments to them to show "good faith" and were told to "just keep our money and take care of my medical bills." The bottom line question is: Are there any rules against CC companies regarding levyies on our bank accounts for people who are on SSI and totally and permanently disabled to prevent this potential account levying disaster? We live in Callifornia, where the rules are far less than clear on this matter.

Thank you!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 04:34 PM

If there is money in the bank that was from other then social security and disability, then yes, if you have savings from when you used to work, they can come after that.

You are wasting your time with 10 dollar payments, there is no "good faith" laws and it only keeps the SOL from starting where they can no longer take you to court.

If all of the money in the bank comes from Social security or disability, then you can present this in court
    nightpowell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Thank you FR_Chuck! That eased my mind. We'd rather not be in this position, but I guess we're not alone! We pray for the strength to deal with it and for probably millions of others in similar positions.

--Nightpowell

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long-Term Disability Income vs SSI [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is on long-term disability, which he paid for and we are now having taxes deducted in prep. Of tax season. He has had to file for SSI. SSI states that their benefits are not based on private pay income. Does long-term insurance count your SSI against you even though you've paid the...

Credit Card Debt w/ Disability Pension And SSI [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently living in N.Y. and have a large amount of credit card debt. I am receiving phone calls all day and have stopped answering. I have told these people that I am currently living on a government issued disability pension and SSI. I have also allowed my mortgage to go two months behind to...

Filing income tax while on ssi disability in NY [ 4 Answers ]

I live in New York & I'm trying to find out exactly why you would file income tax (federal/state) and what can be claimed while on permanent ssi/disibility... For example: Ex on perm ssi disibility, has the kids living with him a majority of the time and refuses to let me claim them seeing he's...

Income Tax on SSI Disability Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My husband receives Social Security Disability Benefits. We file a joint return. My husband is 63 and I'm 49. It appears to me that we keep paying taxes on his ssi disability due to my income... is this true? He does work part- time, but stays below the minimum requirements, and he has extra...

SSI or Social Security Disability and bank accounts. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if there is a maximum amount that can be in a bank account if a person is receiving SSI or Social Security Disability benefits... Thanks

View more questions Search